Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emilie

Reaction score
My 5 year old female jungle just collapsed this arvo dead. She was in bad shed since Thursday but I had her swimming and in a moist pillow case to try rub it off. However I don't think a bad shed crushed this. I am looking to have her autopsied but font know where to go for this. I live south side brissy and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction and possebly a ballpark range of the cost involved

I am sorry to hear that. There are a couple of reptile vets in Brisbane that people recommend here - I can't recall their names but someone else will be able to fill you in. In the meantime, refrigerate the snake's body. If you freeze it, some tests won't be able to be performed.

brisbane birds and exotics is one in the brissy area at mt gravatt, Cost for the post mortem wouldnt be much, if there is nothing obvious whihc there quite often isnt then you are looking at stupid amounts of money to send samples off for histo

Hope it could still breath in the wet pillow case.
It was moist and worn to the limit. I could sleep with it on my face. Anyways, that wAs yesterday. She died 24 hours after she was in the pillowcase, on recommadation frTom experienced keepers on this site may I add

Condolences to you Emilie, must have been quite a shock.

I am so sorry to hear that :(
Poor thing. Let us know what the vet says.
Sorry again, my condolences to you and your family :(

sorry for your loss, its hard lossing a pet especially wen we try everything to save them.
my BHP died earlier this year, very simular situation. i only had him about 1 month seller said he was agressive cause he needed to shed. so i left him alone 4 weeks later he had not shed but bits of shed were coming off very patchy. so i put him in a large water bowl to soak came back 20 min later to see how he was and he was dead. i did not get an autopsy as it was the weekend and my locale reptile vet was closed.

so i'd really like to know what your vet says it is, if they find a cause.

@Saint: Didn't think you were supposed to leave them in there?
I just put my guys in for 2 mins at the most, just to soften the skin, even though i have only ever had to do that twice (once with spotted, once with BHP) Havn't had that happen for a few months though.
Sorry to hear that anyway :(

@Saint: Didn't think you were supposed to leave them in there?
I just put my guys in for 2 mins at the most, just to soften the skin, even though i have only ever had to do that twice (once with spotted, once with BHP) Havn't had that happen for a few months though.
Sorry to hear that anyway :(

Snakes are very good swimmers if they don't want to be in the water they can get out.

sick ones arent, and in these snakes that die the dysecdysis is usually a symptom of something bigger

Snakes are very good swimmers if they don't want to be in the water they can get out.

Yeah I know that, my snake hates the water (BHP), she finds a way to get out ASAP (Hence why I have only bathed her twice (she goes in her water alot).

Things like this happens,unfortunately most ppl dont talk about,sorry to hear it happened,I would defiantly keep any other reptiles if you have any away from it cage etc until you find out what was wrong...With the water thing my snakes love the water especailly the water python,but the jungles dontb mind one little bit also..

Sorry about your Jungle. It is always harder when a loss happens suddenly or out of the blue.
Hopefully you get some answers very soon. Let us know what they turn out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back