Jungle Python feeding.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bec77

Reaction score
Ok I have a few questions. We have a 11-12 month old Jungle python,(Striker)
1. How long/fat should a jungle this age be?
2. Their feed across the belly should be no bigger than twice the size of their head.Is this correct? It's what Ive been told. My son is scared hes going to give him something too big and he'll hurt himself or something.
3 1 pinkie rat should be enough right?

He eats really well, sheds well. If anyone can help with these questions I'd be really really grateful!.

Give it 15-20% of its body weight. I use this on my woma python and alot of other people use this method

i just bought my first jungle a week ago. ive fed it 3 time but each time it takes the mouse, coils it up and then smells it for about 30 mins before dropping it on the floor. is this normal for being in a new enclosure?

Im not to sure daneo, im a first time snake owner (had my woma for 2 months) but she has never done what you just explained.

Striker is our first also, so I'm still fairly new. Could be that he might want more time to adjust to his enclosure or like our Striker he might like to eat where people cant see him. Ours eats in the dark if we watch him he will drop the food and slither away. Covered over away from sight he eats. But never done what yours has. We gave Striker 3 days before we attempted to pick him up, and then fed him after another 4 days. He was quite nippy and grumpy when he came to us, after a 2 and a half hour ride in a ute, hence the name we gave him lol

Ok I have a few questions. We have a 11-12 month old Jungle python,(Striker)
1. How long/fat should a jungle this age be?
2. Their feed across the belly should be no bigger than twice the size of their head.Is this correct? It's what Ive been told. My son is scared hes going to give him something too big and he'll hurt himself or something.
3 1 pinkie rat should be enough right?

He eats really well, sheds well. If anyone can help with these questions I'd be really really grateful!.
My jungle is around the same age and he is on adult mice every 7-10 days

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 158
1 pinkie rat for a yearling jungle sounds very small, best way to know what you should feed it is to go by weight imo. I usually feed 25-35% bodyweight every 2 weeks(at that age), but as others have said 20% is good too. Don't worry about what you think looks too big for the snake, if you go by the weight ratios and have adequate heating you should never have a problem with food being 'too big'. They're made to stretch around large food items without problems.

1 pinkie rat for a yearling jungle sounds very small, best way to know what you should feed it is to go by weight imo. I usually feed 25-35% bodyweight every 2 weeks(at that age), but as others have said 20% is good too. Don't worry about what you think looks too big for the snake, if you go by the weight ratios and have adequate heating you should never have a problem with food being 'too big'. They're made to stretch around large food items without problems.

I guess if its too big its not going to take it is it? So I have a couple of pinkie rats left going by the weight ratio deal, can he have more than one since they really are small feed? We got told not to give them more than item 1 in a sitting

Mine is 13 months (well in 9 days) old and took his/her first Medium Adult (130-200g) Rat. Every 10 days from now on.

Fastest he/she has ever taken anything too. Must have been rather hungry after her latest shed.

I'm not sure how much my Jungle weighs, I'd say around 400-500g and he/she would be at least 1m long, probably closer to 1.2m.

I guess if its too big its not going to take it is it? So I have a couple of pinkie rats left going by the weight ratio deal, can he have more than one since they really are small feed? We got told not to give them more than item 1 in a sitting

Yes, if they decide food is too much for them they wont eat it, no harm done. multiple items is fine if the snake will take them also.

Don't stress about food looking too big, if you have a hotspot of around 32-34 it'll have no problems, just don't disturb the snake too much until the bulge has gone down.

Where did you get your feeding info from may I ask?

My 12mnths old Jungle is on 2 fuzzies per 7 days at the moment but once this lot runs out we'll move up to hoppers, and yes as mention above you can feed 2 mice, 1 straight after the other when you feed :)

i just bought my first jungle a week ago. ive fed it 3 time but each time it takes the mouse, coils it up and then smells it for about 30 mins before dropping it on the floor. is this normal for being in a new enclosure?

If you only bought him a week ago I would highly recommend leaving him alone for 1-2 weeks, alot of the time trying to feed them when they're stressed will make them much less likely to eat and will increase stress levels even more. If you've tried 3 times in 1 week with no sucess leave him alone for another 10 or so days, and then try again, but if he doesn't take it after that leave it another week, continually trying to feed them when they aren't interested can just make their stress levels worse. Hope this helps :)

i have a yearling jungle that feeds on large adult mice every 7-10 days and is slowly starting to take scented rats he's roughly about 80-90 cm and he sheds roughly every month

my jungle is around the 12 month age and he is on 1 hopper rat every 7 days
my 10 month old MD is on 1 fuzzy rat every 7 days

Yes, if they decide food is too much for them they wont eat it, no harm done. multiple items is fine if the snake will take them also.

Don't stress about food looking too big, if you have a hotspot of around 32-34 it'll have no problems, just don't disturb the snake too much until the bulge has gone down.

Where did you get your feeding info from may I ask?

Don't be so confident. Snakes can die from eating food that is too large and it does happen.

This is true, but I think it is more to do with the fact that the Snake(s) did not have proper heating to digest their meal at the time. Not so much that the meal was too big for them.

Oversize feeds can cause a rupture to the stomach lining. Not pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back