Jungle Python Help/Advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironmind91

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! first time snake owner, first time poster.

I got my jungle python Friday (QLD) from a breeder. She is 1 year and 5 months old. She handled great on both occasions before I bought her, eats like a champion, sheds fine. She was fed the day before (Thursday) I got her. Now this is my first snake, so I'm very new to the reptile scene, and am after some advice. I went and bought all the set up for her, ill attach photos, and once I opened the container to put her in..Snap!! she strikes. She finally came out and into her new home and went straight to the top of her viv (see photos) where she has remained since. Is it normal for a snake to literally not move for this amount of time? i understand the snapping is just nerves, and she is a jungle after all so I'm aware they are notorious for being snappy.

When should I start to handle her? the info on all the snake forums is a bit mixed so hopefully I can stick with this site and become a regular! haha

I have a heat lamp at one end, and a UV light at the "cool" end. Humidity is at around 64%. Cool end of the tank is at 23.9?C and hot end is around 30?C

Any tips or advice on anything I've said so far would be greatly appreciated.

Also any tips on calming her down as well, Im a little nervous about sticking my hand near her but I know its early. And yes I have thought this through, for about 2 years actually, and I like to think I've done my research as well, so be nice! haha thanks for reading guys!
image.jpg
image[1].jpg
image[2].jpg
image[3].jpg
image[4].jpg

Just leave her be for about a week to calm down, people will say dont put her in high traffic areas, for obvious reasons (can make them nervous) but with mine, they have always been where they can see people just walking past to get used to the idea that there is people around. I will probably get flamed for that but oh well, just speaking from my own successes. So just leaver her be for a week, you can offer her some food but if she doesnt eat dont worry. Just make sure shes warm, has lots of hides and fresh water and then after about a week you can handle her a little bit each day. About 5-10 minutes should be okay to start with.

And yes its absolutely okay for her not to move for a long time. She probably just feels nice and safe behind those leaves you have in there. Also I'd put another hide on the ground somewhere, you can buy one, use half a terractotta pot or just a box. :D She's pretty, nice addition. ^_^ PM me if you have questions.

Also, you can get rid of the UV globe, it's entirely unnecessary for your jungle and will just run up your power bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back