jungle wont feed???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGTOE

Reaction score
my jungle wont take her feed its been 2 weeks and nothing , when I bought her she was a difficult feeder but has been ok since then, but now still having troubles only fuzzies should I try somthing bigger or what?
she just dosent seem interested , when should force feeding her become an option?
any help guys ? bowns ????

Give it a bit of time. I wouldnt start worring for a number of weeks yet.
Rob

I'm not in a position to comment due to my inexperience...but :lol:

Sometimes my Darwin, like last weekend, and who's normally an awesome feeder, will take whatever is waved in front of his face. He hasn't eaten for a little over 2 weeks now and I thought it might have been time for something. Anyway, I went and got him a nice big fresh, juicy rat lol (it's making my mouth water hehehe) and nothing!!! He just looked at it and had a good sniff over it then went back into his hide. Gee!!!! Anyway, it'll probably be another week or two before I offer him another - then you should see him! lol Either head down in the branches or lurking around all over the enclosure at night :D

Out of curiousity, what is the sign that your snake is starving?? Honestly it would take months for that to happen I'd imagine :? Naturally depending on it's size and condition.

2 weeks is nothing...how warm is it? is its colouring darker than usual and is it less bright in the eyes?? maybe it needs a shed...

hi,
our first coastal took about 5 months to feed, nothing we did helped, when she started eating it was only about every 2 or 3 weeks, now she hits a 4 week old rat like a train, most times she takes 2 every week, i was always told unless they seem sick, then they will eat when they are ready, but this is only if there isn't anything wrong with the snake,
so 2 weeks isn't anything to worry about,

cheers,
steve.........

my male stimmie hasn't eaten for bout a bit over two months, so what im saying is i wouldn't worry yet.

yeaha my little diamond has gone off his food a little too having trouble feeding him as well i think maybe cause its getting really cold hes matabolism is slowwing down a little but im not too sure im just new aswell to this

My littlest jungles ate today for the first time that i have had it ( i don't count 2 assist feeds).
Try it on a live fuzzy and leave it alone. You may be surprised like I was.

At the last meeting of the AHS in Sydney, the speaker said that when he breeds Coastals and Diamonds, if the hatchies don't feed on their own by April he cools them over Winter. By September when they warm up they all go for the first thing he offers them.

I'm not recommending this course of action, just saying that it works for him.

:p

Hix

I have had a few jungles that have taken a while to eat. Just keep the heat up, leave him alone (don't disturb or play with him) and as Jungle mad said put in a live fuzzy, they usually start to take the fuzzy but not eat it, with in a few goes (1-2weeks apart) they seem to get it right. They will eat when their ready! I have a coastal that is 6mths old and still will not eat on her own, I have undertaken assist feeding her every few wks. hopfully when she grows a little more she will develop an appertite to feed herself.

As said keep him warm,try a live fuzzy that can't do any harm and put him in with it in a small tupperware container and check in an hour or so ,and if stil not eaten leave overnight and you'll most likely find it will take the fuzzzy mouse/not rat if kept at the right temps.Then move on to fresh killed ,then thawed then the same with rats etc as they can be very stubborn to take rats but will usually readily take mice,just feed a few small itms that make one decent feed,once they get the taste they're right but some can be very fussy feeders.

Don't force feed unless it's necessary and they have to be very thin to start thinking about force feeding,it will eat in time,just try a few methods mentioned here.If you can scent the mouse with a gecko tail,quail,duck,chook etc that can also help get them on their way.Best is to have him in a quiet low traffic area with a good hide so he's feling secure as some jungles can be very fussy when it comes to feeding and the more snappy ones are more nervous and shy than anything....there's a few other options but see how you go, as others have said it will eat soon enough and a few weeks without food is nothing to worry about at all unless the animal is malnourished or anything in the first place..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back