Just a word of warning

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If i remember correctly, a recent study done proved that most people who carry a knife end up getting attacked with their own knife !!
Also if you did use a knife you end up being charged too !!

I'm not most people, and I'm aware of those "studies." I'm also fully aware of the rules regarding knives in QLD. I have a 'valid reason to carry one' as outlined by the Police comissioner, but that doesn't mean others will.

It's good to see that people are offering their imput.

And lol Note. That boy of yours if more vicious than any rabid pitbull :lol:

I remember years ago when my mum was a police officer working in the child protection agency she was obsessed with stranger danger and it always annoyed me because id heard it a million times this was when i was about 7 now i understand and shes explained that there are litterally disturbed people like this everywhere.

dogs are a great deterant if you dont have a dog keep some pepper spray with you..

Good point about ipods being a distraction. When i was younger i read alot of true crime books and as a result am super aware reg my personal safety.

In one of the books it talked about how to reduce your chances of being selected as a victim.
The gist of it was that predators look for someone that appears weak or unlikely to put up much of a struggle.

So someone shuffeling along with head down, using mobile, texting or listening to ipod (distracted) is more likely to be targeted as opposed to someone who is walking with a purpose, has their head up, taking in their surroundings, and giving the impression that they are a person that wont come easily.

In the predators mind this is someone who is more likely to see him, and put up more of a fight, make more noise and thus draw attention to what is going on, which he doesnt want.
He wants someone he can take easily and maybe by surprise to avoid a struggle or drawing attention to what is happening.

Not fool proof i know, but some good points to keep in mind.

unfortunatly predetors are on the increase as the population grows so do the sickos and bad people nothing anybody can do about it tho except educate educate educate

Actually, all studies show that as a society, we are as safe or safer now than ever. Rates of these kinds of crime are no higher than they have ever been (yes, that includes the "good ol' days") and you are far more likely to be harmed/assaulted/molested by a family member, close friend or acquaintance than by a stranger.

I'm not diminishing the importance of raising kids' awareness of 'stranger danger' and the necessity of teaching basic self-defence strategies to teenagers; but it needs to be seen in perspective and kids need to learn that danger does not only come from strangers, and that in a vast, vast majority of cases, a teenage girl walking down the street in a familiar neighbourhood will be completely safe.

So I'm in this phone box and I finish my call so I am about to walk down the street but there is this weird kid and their dog eyeballing me. I suspect they have friends around the corner waiting to mug me so I stop and go the other way.

So I'm in this phone box and I finish my call so I am about to walk down the street but there is this weird kid and their dog eyeballing me. I suspect they have friends around the corner waiting to mug me so I stop and go the other way.

lmao ... two sides to every story.

easy to say when you're not the one most commonly targeted or in most danger. better to be safe than sorry, a good thread to start Em :)

Did you know that nearly 60% of assults could be avoided if people didn't use their ipods while jogging? :eek:
I found that fact rather disturbing as these days most joggers use ipods.

I'm not most people, and I'm aware of those "studies." I'm also fully aware of the rules regarding knives in QLD. I have a 'valid reason to carry one' as outlined by the Police comissioner, but that doesn't mean others will.

It's good to see that people are offering their imput.

And lol Note. That boy of yours if more vicious than any rabid pitbull :lol:

What is your valid reason? have always wondered what would be said if i got pulled over as my hunting/ butchering knifes live in my ute.

What is your valid reason? have always wondered what would be said if i got pulled over as my hunting/ butchering knifes live in my ute.

Lol Do you live out in the bush? There are some pretty valid reasons if you do. If you're in the city though, watch it - the only reason you could have them is if you said you were a chef and they got loose from their box, or they're trade tools...

it's crazy how many sicko's are out there. even people you know, they're the ones you have to look out for the most. they can manipulate kids into keeping it a secret, then it can go on for years with noone knowing.

Stroll around with a sawn off shotty slung over your your shoulder, I doubt you'll get much interest from any one that isn't in a blue uniform.;)

Lol Do you live out in the bush? There are some pretty valid reasons if you do. If you're in the city though, watch it - the only reason you could have them is if you said you were a chef and they got loose from their box, or they're trade tools...

As an appprentice I once had my knives confiscated by a transit officer due to the fact I didn't have a lock on my toolbox whilst I was travelling home from TAFE on a train....

Crystal..Discus said:
And lol Note. That boy of yours if more vicious than any rabid pitbull
icon_lol.gif

XD.

It's like being stuck in a really bad cover of that old Angels/Chiffons/Martha and the Vandellas song.... :shock:

Actually, all studies show that as a society, we are as safe or safer now than ever. Rates of these kinds of crime are no higher than they have ever been (yes, that includes the "good ol' days") and you are far more likely to be harmed/assaulted/molested by a family member, close friend or acquaintance than by a stranger.

I'm not diminishing the importance of raising kids' awareness of 'stranger danger' and the necessity of teaching basic self-defence strategies to teenagers; but it needs to be seen in perspective and kids need to learn that danger does not only come from strangers, and that in a vast, vast majority of cases, a teenage girl walking down the street in a familiar neighbourhood will be completely safe.

Finally, a voice of reason amongst those of the screeching masses!
We've heard from the child, paranoia ingrained, the parents (peeking nervously from behind curtains) and a phone sex 'operator' that says some people ask for fantasies involving underaged persons..... :shock: Gee, who woulda thunk it?!
Paedophiles, rapists and robbers have existed for many, many years. It's only now, with technology/internet etc that the media has chosen to bombard us with all the bollocks.
Some of us don't subscribe to that though.
Personally, I prefer to educate my kids and encourage them to learn, travel and experience.
Pretty much as my folks did!

Best of all, we aren't being spoon-fed by the media, living on our knees, cowed....

Finally, a voice of reason amongst those of the screeching masses!
We've heard from the child, paranoia ingrained, the parents (peeking nervously from behind curtains) and a phone sex 'operator' that says some people ask for fantasies involving underaged persons..... :shock: Gee, who woulda thunk it?!
Paedophiles, rapists and robbers have existed for many, many years. It's only now, with technology/internet etc that the media has chosen to bombard us with all the bollocks.
Some of us don't subscribe to that though.
Personally, I prefer to educate my kids and encourage them to learn, travel and experience.
Pretty much as my folks did!

Best of all, we aren't being spoon-fed by the media, living on our knees, cowed....

You are a true Sage, Toon.:lol:

thank god your safe em.
Yeh there's some weirdos out n about.
I live in gosford so yeh lol.nothing like my nife for back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back