Just curious - Why do you keep elapids?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once upon a time I thought people who kept vens had completely lost their minds. Now I'm starting to understand it. I personally am really developing a fascination for RBBs. :)

I belong in one of the unfortunate states and the average keeper can only keep elapids in Tasmania (at the moment).

Fortunately, I have been able to import previously and have a couple of mainland species. BUT generally, elapids (only native snakes) only down here

I belong in one of the unfortunate states and the average keeper can only keep elapids in Tasmania (at the moment).

Fortunately, I have been able to import previously and have a couple of mainland species. BUT generally, elapids (only native snakes) only down here

Were you allowed to import pythons once upon a time to tassie?

Once upon a time I thought people who kept vens had completely lost their minds. Now I'm starting to understand it. I personally am really developing a fascination for RBBs. :)

I know what you mean - I too had thought ven-keepers were a bit crazy, but seeing the photos of their collections, I'm stunned at how fascinating they are (the snakes, not the keepers!) - such fabulous colours and textures and shapes. Add in the activity levels and the hunting/feeding bit, and I can apprecaite how spectacular they are.

Still, I doubt that I'll ever own one.

Like many on here, I suspect, they were the snakes of my childhood. Living in colder regions of Southern NSW, Canberra and Vic, the only snakes I had available (talking pre-licencing days) were wild caught Browns, Tigers, Copperheads and RBB's. As a kid, I always dreamed of a Carpet Python (next to Coastal Tai's and Top End Mulgas:)) and, when I finally got one, wondered what all the fuss had been about(no offence). Eventually, I got a licence, joined my local WIRES group to do snake removals and now have elapids on permit.

I totally agree with i_V. I caught my first snake when I was 10. A swamp snake. I didn't find a python for years, but swampies, whips and golden crowneds were quite common.
I prefer to watch an elapid, the way they move hunt etc. Don't get me wrong. I love pythons too, I have plenty of them.

As for handling, I have two large scrubbies. I think they are harder to handle than most elapids.

How do they handle? I'm pretty sure it was you who PM'd me saying you didn't handle them, but I thought it was a joke? Do they all get along?

Could you post some pics of your pit, mate? It looks like a sweet set up.

In the pits some will do the runner while others don't care, as far as handling goes you mean freehandle? neck grab? hav'nt had the need to. Have had no dramas hooking them out when I decide to feed them in tubs. If fed in pits just keep an eye on them. All seem to get along, hav'nt noticed any problems.
November 14th 2010 (1).jpg
December 25th 2010 (91).jpg
December 11th 2010 (6).jpg
December 4th 2010 (1).jpg

Were you allowed to import pythons once upon a time to tassie?

Yes....But only those holding education/display permits and the wildlife parks.
P&W put a moritorium in place in '09 whilst the regs were undergoing a review. Information received is that the new regs should be in place (as at end april 2011) with the possibility of being able to import again at the end of this year.....fingers crossed

In the pits some will do the runner while others don't care, as far as handling goes you mean freehandle? neck grab? hav'nt had the need to. Have had no dramas hooking them out when I decide to feed them in tubs. If fed in pits just keep an eye on them. All seem to get along, hav'nt noticed any problems.

Love the stripeys in the 3rd shot

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back