Just curious - Why do you keep elapids?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Getarealdog, your setups are truly inspirational! ;)

Thanks, trying to reduce this electricity bill, hence certain elapids for me are the go. Got these the other day 3000litre aquaculture tanks (2.1 x 2.1 x 1), won't be putting fish in these just more elapids!
P4220014.jpg
P4220009.jpg

In the pits some will do the runner while others don't care, as far as handling goes you mean freehandle? neck grab? hav'nt had the need to. Have had no dramas hooking them out when I decide to feed them in tubs. If fed in pits just keep an eye on them. All seem to get along, hav'nt noticed any problems.
View attachment 198773
View attachment 198776
View attachment 198777
View attachment 198778

mate your set ups are absolutely awesome great idea snake look cool too well done!

Yes....But only those holding education/display permits and the wildlife parks.
P&W put a moritorium in place in '09 whilst the regs were undergoing a review. Information received is that the new regs should be in place (as at end april 2011) with the possibility of being able to import again at the end of this year.....fingers crossed

Love the stripeys in the 3rd shot

Awesome, what part of tassie are ya from? I lived in cygnet for a few years. I didn't like it down there too much.

Getarealdog - awesome set up mate. So you've never freehandled them? What haplens if they have retained shed? Anyway mate, really nice snakes and awesome enclosure you have. If I didn't have to handle them I'd consider something like that in the future when I'm more experienced, it looks great.

How many tigers are in there? I see 3 black ones and 3 striped ones?

im curious as to how many people free handle there elapids? and has anyone here ever been tagged by one?

oh man these thread always decend into a free handling debate.
There are some particular elapid species which in captivity handle very well and black snakes would be one of the best

see cute chicks loooove black snakes

19251_1201728446805_1336382920_30498445_3830302_n.jpg

19037_281245327856_728902856_3328635_7639581_n.jpg

19037_281245377856_728902856_3328639_2375311_n-1.jpg

Last edited:
SP that's awesome. Pretty girls with a pretty snake :p. What sort of warning signs do they give when they're not in the mood? I know a couple of signs with pythons but never seen anyone handling elapids in person

SP that's awesome. Pretty girls with a pretty snake :p. What sort of warning signs do they give when they're not in the mood? I know a couple of signs with pythons but never seen anyone handling elapids in person

i could explain the signs but you wont believe me,
never seen someone handle elapids?? man you live at windsor there is so many snakes around your area its also near one of my fav spots londonderry. If you want to see some elapids handled drop me aline,you can even handle some yourself if you like some species are really not the big deal people make them out.

lol you're a funny guy Richard.

SP that's an awesome offer thank you. I've been trying to find someone who could show them to me

Did those chicks know it was venomous? Had they had any experience with them before? Awesome pics.

Getarealdog - awesome set up mate. So you've never freehandled them? What haplens if they have retained shed? Anyway mate, really nice snakes and awesome enclosure you have. If I didn't have to handle them I'd consider something like that in the future when I'm more experienced, it looks great.

How many tigers are in there? I see 3 black ones and 3 striped ones?[/QUOTE]

Never had retained shed when snakes housed outdoors, indoors always give them a light mist when coming up for a slough. The black 1's are red belly's. 3 in each, freehandle sometimes with certain snakes under certain conditions.

How many tigers are in there? I see 3 black ones and 3 striped ones?

Never had retained shed when snakes housed outdoors, indoors always give them a light mist when coming up for a slough. The black 1's are red belly's. 3 in each, freehandle sometimes with certain snakes under certain conditions.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok. That was stupid of me, I thought they were all in the same pit. Thought they might be black tiger snakes. They can get very black from tassie can't they?

I love RBBS they really do fascinate me :) Me dad thinks I'm made for wanting to get one. I think I like them so much because they are one of the snakes I run into the most while out hunting or camping in the bush, down here in Victoria. All the black snakes I have run into have all been really placid, they are just amazing creatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back