keelback

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: RE: keelback

Not all snakes are venomous, just most colubrids. They actually have venom glands. I have seen them being cut out of a roadkill Slaty grey

thats the place to go thanks baritji thats what i was on about

Actually, I'm serious. As far as I'm concerned, anything with saliva and teeth is technically venomous, humans included. A venom gland is just a salivary gland and a fang is just a tooth.

too true preach it.... that is what most of the info is based on, saliva containing enzymes that break down protien strands thats us... look at that my mother inlaw is venomous :)

So, in your opinion, pythons are technically venomous?

i agree with sdaji and kinda disagree i belive that anything with teeth sharp enough to break skin and a saliva gland can potentionaly be venomous like the komodo dragon not considered venomous but can have similar effects with its bites to sum venoums

following that argument then yes anything containing saliva is venomous to a degree

thats not the saliva that causes the problem with komodo dragon jimmy it is the bacteria from the decaying food that causes the problems

So, in your opinion, pythons are technically venomous?

If you consider humans to be venomous, yes, otherwise, basically no. Pythons do seem to have anticoagulants or something in their saliva, their bites seem to bleed more than I'd expect from a stainless steel replica of their teeth biting me. For me to call something 'venomous', it has to have highly modified saliva and a 'venom' delivery mechanism. In a sense, it's arbitrary where you draw the line and call things venomous, and if you want to call things like humans nonvenomous, the venomous-nonvenomous distinction is grey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back