keeping gekos in NT (WTB) also

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aussiesnakelover

Reaction score
hi i made a similar post not long ago but didnt get any real good replys (i think that was my fault)
Ok well im in the market now for a pair of sexed geko's,
i have the cage already its a exo terra, the biggest floor size one but not the tallest
i have 250 to spend...is this enough money?
what species can i keep here in NT (darwin) that can stand the heat?

if you know anyone that has gekos for sale that fit my discription that im after can you tell me plz..via pm or posted in here

thx Daniel any help apreciated

Hi Daniel,

You'll be incredibly lucky if you manage to find a pair of sexed geckos at all, but the chances of you finding any for $250 are even more remote LOL!!

How hot are we talking? Many geckos can't cope with extreme heat. Amyae aren't as touchy with heat as the smooth knob tails, but they still don't like it too hot and they are very hard to get hold of, and are minimum of $250 each!

:0)

ok lol, i was hoping that 250 would be enough, because there is a ad right now on here, for a thick tail for 80 bukz but ive been told they wont with stand the heat :(
the temps are from 28-34,
i just wanted sumthin nice and intrestin that will be able to live their whole life in the 45cm cube exo terra and would breed but i might just save till i get 440 and get a pair of juvie darwins and use the exo terra for nothing :( i might sell it but then you dont get anything for it and next time you need one it costs alot again lol

Yes, thickies won't stand the heat, they like it no hotter than 26.

Most geckos will be heat stressed if the whole tank is 34 degrees. I have to have my herp room air conditioned as I am in Brissy and it get really hot in the house! If you decide to breed whatever gecko you buy, their eggs will cook if they are kept over 31 degrees for any prolonged period of time. Maybe you would be better off getting some dragons instead? Central netteds are lovely little fellas!

Maybe you could trade the tank so it isn't wasted?

:0)

thz herp trader as well... well reedy has the local spiny tails on his site but i dont think he has any avuable right now
saz...i dont like dragons much..no offence and if i trade in the cage i would get a snake, my fav reptiles are monitors, most snakes/pythons and gekos i dont know why but i dont like dragons much

I think there is a pair of spiny tail gecks at hbiscus pet shop, if that's the same as Strophurus ciliaris. From memory they are around your price range.

Yes, I have a very friendly pair of Storrs, very cute little fellas. I keep S.ciliaris, they get very tame and are prolific breeders and very good doers. My two adult females have produced about 15 hatchlings this season with another 5 eggs to hatch and they are both still fat and happy. I think 34 degrees would be too hot for them as an ambient temp rather than a hot spot, but they would cope no doubt. Not sure whether they would breed at that temp though?

There are a fair few spiny tail species, I keep Ciliaris, Williamsi and SA form intermedius. There are a few others I am hoping to add to my list too LOL!

Aren't ciliaris native to that area and commonly live on houses?
That's why I suggested them.

i dont like to buy from pet shops if you know what i mean.... i think palmerston pet supplies has some too but same thing both are pet shops...
if you dont mind me asking what reptiles do you keep waruikazi?
and where do you purchase them from?

theres not many people from the NT on this site lol so i must ask questions hehe

ive been living here in the NT for 4 years and havnt seen any other gekos besides the asian house geko's conmonly

there is a NT form of spiny tails and im pretty sure there the ones reedy has on his site

my dad when he was out bush said that he had a marbled velvet jump on his back while he was walking once but i wasnt there to see it

Thx Daniel

There is a Katherine form and an Alice Springs form, but I guess the point is that they are able to thermoregulate in the wild and seek out those cooler spots rather than being in a tank and stuck at 34 degrees. Their eggs won't survive at 34 degrees, so I assume they must manage to find cool spots to lay them. I didn't think they hung out in houses, but anyone living in the areas would be able to answer that for sure.

Herp trader is in NT, how do your Ciliaris do in the heat? I have kept mine at 26 degrees ambient with 28 degrees hotspot and they have been breeding like CRAZY!!!

Actually they are my favourite species, partially because they were my first, but also because they are so tame. You will love them LOL!

as i said in the post before i havnt seen them around the house at all, yeh reedy is located in ketherine and i beleive he keeps the katherine form and the temps are basically the same as here in darwin, i could most likely get caging tips from him

i thought herp trader was in melbourne?

Hehehe! No idea why I got that into my head! David from Reedy's reptiles had some eggs in the incubator, but I think he has either sold them or will be keeping them. He did say that he can (legally) collect wild caught katherine form.

Before my collection grew too big to maintain nice pretty enclosures, I used the largest size (60high by 45 by 45) exo-terra enclosures for my Strophurus with a glass panel down the middle to divide them into two. Strophurus Ciliaris will be fine in the enclosure you have.

Here's a pic of mine when I had them in it...

9b44eb99.jpg

b3ade685.jpg

thx, yeh reedy has got a collectors permit i think
nice set-up you had there, i know what you mean by not being able to keep fancy cages anymore lol
are the take aways tubs full of dirt? as a hide or are they surposed to lay thier eggs in there?
what substrate is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back