Keeping Small Elapids In NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with a lot of what Mr Bredli has said.... Having kept yellow faced whip snakes, marsh snakes and red bellied blacks personally in the past, I have to agree that the yellow faces and marsh snakes are a good proposition for first time ven keepers. The red bellied was the most aggressive snake I had, and would constantly strike at anything that moved past his enclosure. Although I have heard that a lot of red bellies are quite docile and easy to handle... I seemed to have the aggro one :roll:

For anyone wanting to meet the man behind the finger come to Sydney Reptile Supplies shop 5/10 hunter st Parramatta,he is there normally thursday & friday.The weekends he is occasionally in the store but often on the road.
The bite was in the early to mid 80's,the venom got into the first two knuckle joints & basically rotted them out.Any members local to Parramatta thinking of keeping venomous snakes feel free to pop in to see Neville for a chat.

Cheers popp

I have a bite on the upper part of my left index finger from a Demansia psammmophis.
The bite occurred a few years ago at RPA when I went to identify a snake.
The bite was painful and I still have a red mark on the spot and it is still tender at times. it is currently sore and an infection has again set in. I need to keep an eye on it.

If being able to be bitten is a prerequisite for keeping elapids then you should think twice about getting them. The whole thing is to operate in a way that precludes the event happening.

If being able to be bitten is a prerequisite for keeping elapids then you should think twice about getting them. The whole thing is to operate in a way that precludes the event happening.

I totally agree the main point is to learn operate in a way that prevents getting bitten by vens is the thing to aim for... but for keepers inexperienced with vens, even though they may try their best, sometimes the inevitable happens... and in my opinion it would be probably better to be bitten by a marsh snake or whip snake (providing there was no allergic reaction complicating matters) rather than by a tiger, brown, death adder, taipan etc etc

Hopefully the new ven keeper would not get bitten at all, and progres to the successful keeping and handling of the more dangerously venomous animals after the initial experience gained with some lesser (in theory) venomous specimens...

I agree that anyone who only wants the lesser (in theory) venomous animals becuase they think "it doesn't matter if they get bitten as it won't kill me" should re-think getting any sort of elapid at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back