Keeping snakes together.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackTar

Reaction score
I have two Juvi water pythons, one male and one female and they are currently in their own enclosures and I am having new ones built for them. The male is currently in a much smaller enclosure than the female and I was wodering if it is a huge issue to have both snakes in the one large enclosure untill their purpose built ones are ready.

Of course even if this is viable I am still considering if it is logisticaly smart as I will then not be able to tell which one is which.

Are you talking about those cupboard type enclosures or the huge one that's coming my way? Could you just put a temporary divider into the larger enclosure maybe if you mean the cupboard ones, that way you'd still have them seperate.

If they both currently have enclosures and new ones are being built I don't see that the benefit is sufficient enough to house them together for a short term scenario. As Waruikazi has mentioned yes it is possible to house them together but there are inherent risks in doing so, for such a short term situation my belief is there would be little if any benefit. Putting a divider into the one large enclosure would also be counterproductive of the original motive behind the proposed move (depending on the difference in enclosure measurements).

They're juvies - so just get a decent sized click clack (50L or so) which you'll find endless uses for anyway - so it won't be a waste of money - and house them separately as suggested.

When they're older and much bigger, and the season to mate arrives, then house them together.

I've heard of evidence that snakes kept together for long periods of time are less likely to mate than if they were enclosure neighbours.

Juvies = large click clack for safe keeping separately :)

Get a click clack, or keep him in the cage he is in now. What are the dimensions of the smaller cage?
My Water python will strike anything that moves, and if yours are anything like mine then you'll have two dead snakes the next morning.

All very good points, thanks very much for the advice, I think they will be fine as they are for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back