King Cobras - animal planet.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miss2

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey did anyone else watch the doco on king cobras on animal planet last night?
i dont know much at all about snakes but watching that show on them, omg wow!!!
everything about them was so fasinating, the mating, the rivarly, there eating habits.
and the fact that those 5 min old babies hold enough ven to kill, woah lol

if u didnt see it i would recomend finding it and watching it... from someone whos not a massive snake fan it was great :)

It is called "King Cobra and I" and has been on many times before, but is a really good show to watch. One of my favorites.

King cobra's are my favourite snake, i will have to check it out

cool, i had never seen it before so though it was great!

miss as with our hot vens straight out of the egg or sac they are just as lethal as their parent ..this is a myth that alot of people think ..if its small it isnt dangerous RUBBISH same risk ...anyone ever come across a hatchie eastern brown will know it has the same attitude (if not more) as its adult form and the bites just as lethal ...

miss as with our hot vens straight out of the egg or sac they are just as lethal as their parent ..this is a myth that alot of people think ..if its small it isnt dangerous RUBBISH same risk ...anyone ever come across a hatchie eastern brown will know it has the same attitude (if not more) as its adult form and the bites just as lethal ...

really?
so the ven doesnt need to develop or anything??? thats crazy!!

Romulus Whitaker as done another one on Kings since The King and I, where they tracked males and females...Both females they tracked became gravid and where both killed by other males... opens more questions than they found answers... Both these docos he has produced are the best herp docos done in recent years imo.

There are lots of smaller creatures than baby snakes that kill people, I find it odd that people think that... Pick up a funnel web, a pretty cone shell, or a tiny irukandji and see what happens.

true Jason ..but was making the point that alot of people seem to have this thinking if its small it cant be as bad as the parent snake ..the only panic they seem to have when finding baby eastern browns in numbers is 'if mummy is still hanging around feeding her young"...not realising mummy has nothing to do with her off spring and that they are on their own from the moment they are born even in egg stage ...and the venom is just as toxic as its mummys....

That may be RBB, but the fangs are too small to penetrate your skin ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
well show me how you let baby EB's attach to your pinkie finger :lol::lol::lol:
and video it, as I would like to watch you over the next hour or so after it has let go ;););)

i liked the fact that the villagers would call them to come and remove the problem snakes rather then just killing them, wish that happened in more places!

sorry about the little snake ven question - as i said i dont know a whole lot about snakes!!!

That may be RBB, but the fangs are too small to penetrate your skin ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

I agree with Jason..

Im no expert with vens and agree that they still have the potential to cause serious problems when really young but from what I've been told is when newborn they dont really go to bite a day or two after being born and their fangs are too small to penetrate your skin as well.. after a few days of birth though I think you probably need to be careful..

well thats what a zookeeper told me when he told me to cup both hands and close my eyes and tipped from a shoebox about a dozen or more new born rattlesnakes into my hands :lol: they were rattlling away but didnt bite me.. but after a few seconds I was looking for that box to quickly dump them back in.. just in case.. it was an awesome experience though..

this was at a behind the scenes AHS tour at taronga zoo back in the good old days when stuff like this happened and no one was really aware of legalities and insurance etc

Romulus Whitaker as done another one on Kings since The King and I, where they tracked males and females...Both females they tracked became gravid and where both killed by other males... opens more questions than they found answers... Both these docos he has produced are the best herp docos done in recent years imo.

The King and I, is on all the time, its really interesting. theres also another one called Nick Baker's Weird Creatures, he does a whole episode on the GTP up north thats pretty interesting aswell.

I love animal planet.

Col, I was only joking ;), It depends alot on the species, but some species are relatively (very) quiet straight out of the egg, and some species do have very small fangs and that would reduce their effective strike rate so to speak, but still fully capable of inflicting a lethal bite.. I was bitten by a tiny elapid last week, and had to physically remove it off my finger, lucky it was only a Dwyeri... they seemingly have quite large fangs for a tiny snake :lol:

lol i seem to find they have more attitude.. they see everything bigger as more of a threat i think

Col, I was only joking ;), It depends alot on the species, but some species are relatively (very) quiet straight out of the egg, and some species do have very small fangs and that would reduce their effective strike rate so to speak, but still fully capable of inflicting a lethal bite.. I was bitten by a tiny elapid last week, and had to physically remove it off my finger, lucky it was only a Dwyeri... they seemingly have quite large fangs for a tiny snake :lol:

:lol: fair enough guys.. I guess it really depends on the species etc.. Im not advocating handing new born vens by the way.. I think they should all be handled with extreme care.. just relating a story that happened and what I was told about the rattlers by the head keeper at the time at taronga. maybe I got off lucky.. but I dont think he would have done that if there was a real risk.. well at least I hope not :lol:

I've seen that show twice... I love those snakes :D I love hearing them hiss, it sounds so cool! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back