Knob-tailed geckos heating and tank size questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't use a heat lamp. Like you said they are nocturnal, a heat lamp would act too much like the Sun. Just use a heat matt/cord under about 1/3 of the tank (with a thermostat).

Theses guys have been known to eat at temps as low as 8c over winter, ive herped local areas during winter and found these guys hiding during the day with night time temps as low as 4c. Seen them out of hides in low temps, they are the most cold tolerant geckos we have in australia.

My room temps only get down as low as 12c, so i see no need to heat them at all. I prefer not to use a heat lamp for geckos, they absorb heat though their bellys and a heat cord/mat does the job really well and is more effective then a lamp.

Rick

Ok thanks Tobe & Rick, how do u connect a heat mat to a thermostat?

The wall plug that comes on the heat mat plugs into the thermostat, then you sit the prob on the mat and set your temp.

Rick

it is super easy mate. The best thing for geckos is a heatmat connected to a thermostat. Don't listen to anyone who says to use heat globes or bulbs for geckos.

Ok is an Exo terra heat mat ok to use? as that's the brand I'm going to use.

Could I use those blue Exo terra infrared night lights to view the thick-tails at night?

Ok is an Exo terra heat mat ok to use? as that's the brand I'm going to use.

Yep they are great! I use them in lots of my set ups. Get one that will roughly cover 1/3 of the floor space of your enclosure.

Could I use those blue Exo terra infrared night lights to view the thick-tails at night?

Some people use blue/black bulbs or infa red but from personal experience the geckos seem to thrive better without the lighting at night. Even though it is just so you can view them the geckos seem to get bothered by the light and this causes problems with their day night cycle. Once again this is just what I have personally experienced.

Ok thanks Grogshla, I won't use night lights then. I'll just stick to the Exo terra heat mat.

Guys I had a suggestion, I'm still going to get a heat mat though, would it be ok to put the Exo terra terrarium on my blueys tank for heat instead of using a heat mat? or is a heat mat the only thing to use for heat?

Guys I had a suggestion, I'm still going to get a heat mat though, would it be ok to put the Exo terra terrarium on my blueys tank for heat instead of using a heat mat? or is a heat mat the only thing to use for heat?

I would be concerned about a lack of airflow around the globe. Also, how were you planning on monitoring and maintaining a constant heat that penetrates into your gecko tank? Having it's own heat mat and thermostat would be so much more convenient.

Yeah I thought having the heat mat and thermostat would be more convenient. Didn't think about airflow around the globes, very good point Thyla.

I just use the cheap $1-$4 ones on ebay, cheap an batteries last a long time.

Rick

Ok thanks can't wait till i get some thick-tails, very exited now :D

Have a question about substrate, would just red reptile desert sand be the thing to use?, or like my friend suggested can I use a mixture of Eco Earth coco nut husk and red desert sand together? what do u guys use as substrate with your thick tail geckos?

I tried play sand and coco but it doesnt stay together very well if dry. Im now using red sand from landscaping yard, i think i paid $8 for around 50kg.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back