Knob-tailed geckos heating and tank size questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my girls is around 22g, 30g is listed on a few care sheets. I guess their always can be the freak big ones.

Rick

Sent off the reptile licence today, very happy :D. Now I'm on my way the owing the thick-tails soon

I noticed you didn't have any books on your checklist of things to purchase.
Given the knowledge (or lack there of) you have displayed, I highly recommend getting at least one decent book on geckos and read it thoroughly.

Here is my knobby set up..

uje6y2u4.jpg

eqa9aby7.jpg

This is my girls...
Lots if sand to burrow.

Sorry for crappy pics :/

Here is my knobby set up..

uje6y2u4.jpg

So did you end up going with a heat mat? Because the depth of sand on your hot side (right of pic i'm assuming) looks to be about 5-6cm yes?
If so, your heat mat will struggle to heat to temperature. I would put 1-3cm of sand ontop of the heat mat.

hi ive seriously got mine in a click clack it is 50cm long and 35cm wide with asa heat pad that is 15cm by 28cm and is on the hot side obviously :] umm calcium your crickets every second feed have your heat pad connected to a thermostat at 32 degrees and your ready to go and also a couple hides

ahajyha8.jpg

Basic thickie setup-
Red sand
Terracota pot saucers
Storemate 20l/30l
Just add thickies :)

Rick

Thats my one of my females. I find keeping it nice and simple allows them to find the crickets alot easier then if an enclosure that had alot of plants, burrows and places for the crickets to hide.

Rick

I house all my knobtails in a rack system similar to yours Rick and they are loving life!!

My uncle has his knob-tails in a click clack system similar to Rogue5861 hopefully in a few months we'll get a mate for Bruce our present thick - tail and hopefully our uncles will breed we can get some smooth knob-tails.

And you can buy the tubs from Kmart target or buntings I believe or get proper click clacks at pet shops but get the tubs they're cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, the heat mat wont melt/burn the bottom of the plastic tub will it?

nope but it is highly recommended that you connect it to a thermostat

good tanks are around 40cm by 30cm knob tailed geckos don't need much space and be sure to have hidy rocks and watered around every day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back