Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are diamonds and Coastals the same genus ????

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwarren72

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am starting this poll to answer the base question of an ongoing debate which causes much dispute. I know some of you know where this is going to lead and I ask that you not go into it just yet. Let's just see what the populus comes up with... From there we will ave further discussion on that much asked question

I'm not quite sure why you asked the question, they are obviously the same genus.

They are the same genus and species the only debatable issue is if they are the same subspecies. Someone or something i read lead me to believe that due their genes they are the same subspecies does anyone know any details about this?

They are certainly the same genus....according to recent taxonomy even GTP and COastal Carpets are the same genus...so did you mean to ask if they were the same species or subspecies?

Just because something is in the same genus doesn't mean its a subspecies. Totally different things.

They are certainly the same genus....according to recent taxonomy even GTP and COastal Carpets are the same genus...so did you mean to ask if they were the same species or subspecies?

From my understanding of the DNA research by Rawlings, Donellan & co is that it appears that all subspecies of carpets are on a DNA basis the same except for Bredli and Imbricata, GTP's weren't mentioned as far as I was aware, neither were Carinata.

As far as I am aware the abtract published was just that, and the full paper hasn't been released to there peers for review and disection, so I don't think we can be saying that anything is one way or another until this has happened, this could typically take years.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Neil

From my understanding of the DNA research by Rawlings, Donellan & co is that it appears that all subspecies of carpets are on a DNA basis the same except for Bredli and Imbricata, GTP's weren't mentioned as far as I was aware, neither were Carinata.

As far as I am aware the abtract published was just that, and the full paper hasn't been released to there peers for review and disection, so I don't think we can be saying that anything is one way or another until this has happened, this could typically take years.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Neil

Thanks for that, thats basically what i heard or read with a bit more info.

I don't get it, where are we getting ? All carpets are morelia and always will be unless they change the genus which is possible but they will remain the same genus regardless.
What I don't get is how/why 3 people have voted that Diamonds and Coastals are in a different genus.

I don't get it, where are we getting ? All carpets are morelia and always will be unless they change the genus which is possible but they will remain the same genus regardless.

I know what you are sayng but that makes no sense.
I think the reason this thread was started was confusing over the differances or lack of differances between diamonds and coastal carpets. Unless someone else has something to add we are waiting on a paper before we can consider them to be(or not) the same subspecies.

genus was the wrong thingo to have in the question but it still got the answer i was wondering about.

What I meant was that they will always be in the same genus regardless of the genus name. The question was are they the same genus, the answer is obviously yes.
DNA tests appear to show they are in fact the same species as well.
Maybe a new poll asking if we think they are the same species ?

What I meant was that they will always be in the same genus regardless of the genus name. The question was are they the same genus, the answer is obviously yes.
DNA tests appear to show they are in fact the same species as well.
Maybe a new poll asking if we think they are the same species ?

Yeah i knew you meant that it was just confusing in the wording, me good english too no worries;)
a poll doesnt really mean much i doubt 1% of ppl here would know enough to make an informed judgement. I for one havnt even seen any of the paper and dont even know the taxi rules.

Yeah you are probably right.
Are there rules to getting a taxi ? I don't they don't like you to throw up in the back seat.

Yeah you are probably right.
Are there rules to getting a taxi ? I don't they don't like you to throw up in the back seat.

Yeah they get annoyed if you spew in the front too:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back