Leiopython on Saibai??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanN

Reaction score
I did not want to hijack the other thread, however, Waterrat mentioned that this genus was to be found on Saibai Island in the Torres Straight.

Is there any proof of that - I'm not sure that there is? Does anyone have any more info?

Saibai Island in the Torres Straight.
l don't want to hijack this thread either but Saibai is. is very interesting geographically as its Australia northern most land mass and is only 700 meters [approx.] for N.G with people on that island having food trading rights with N.G
so in other words there is a steady flow of people backwards and forwards to and from N.G. quite legally ....solar 17 [Baden]

Hi Gordo,

That article is on Liasis (olive/water pythons). I am asking about the genus Leiopython (White-lipped pythons).

If I remember correctly, Peter Mirtschin's expedition to Saibai also recorded White lips. There is a PNG herp assemblage on the island, including Papuan blacks and PNG Taipans.

I have to look for it, I think there was an article in Reptiles Australia. Damian Goodall from Melb. Zoo was on that expedition, I email him and let you know.

Google: "Imperiled Snakes of PNG and Timor-Leste" by O'Shea, Williams & Kaiser - page 23. It's a PDF file

"The southern white-lipped python is also known from the islands of the Torres Strait, which officially includes the species in the Australian herpetofauna."

The PDF is of limited value - isn't it just tertiary summary literature?? Have any of the authors actually seen Leiopythton in the Torres Straight?

I will be keen to hear your response from Peter Waterrat. Please post it on the forum.

I am waiting for an email from a person who is based on Saibai, he is a doctor and also keen herper. Also waiting for pers. com. from David Williams. Will let you know.

Leiopython on Saibai Island

Hi all,
There are no Leiopython albertisi recorded from Saibai island that I am aware of. When Peter Mirtschin, Dave Millar, myself and other colleagues were there in 2006, we found water pythons (Liasis fuscus/macklotii). We didn't see either species on neighbouring Boigu Island, but then again, we were only on Boigu for a week.
20+ years ago, Lyall Naylor had legal species of Leiopython albertisi when he was working at the Rainforest Habitat in Port Douglas. They were said to have come from the tip of Cape York, but whether or not that is true, only Lyall really knows.
Cheers

David

So there is a possibility that whitle lips dont even inhabit any of Aussies landmass or islands?
Damn, I know it is unlikley but would love to somehow see some of these guys in future Aussie collections.

Has anyone heard an updates or dare I say rumours on the species in captivity and does anyoneone know if any zoos in OZ houses these guys?

P.S
Sorry this topic has been done to death but I am fascinated by these guys.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back