Letter from non member

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
imo i would say the horses this person owns have no fear of snakes or are just plain stupid. clear away any possible habitat making sure you don't end up going and disturbing an angry venomous snake. then start training the horses that snakes are a horrible horrible thing and alls well!

andrew

Horses naturally avoid snakes, snakes naturally avoid horses. It takes a bloody good bite to kill a horse. There really seems something a little strange going on.

Talk about killing the snakes. Kill 6 and another 6 will move in. If there is habitat and food, there will be snakes.
Or are we talking about the widspread elimination of all locally ocurring venomous snake species ?
Then the problem would be the plagues of rats and mice and the diseases they spread to our pets and children.

maybe nuke the whole area, wait till the dust settles and then move back in. No pesky wildlife problems then.

Sheesh Casper! I believe he was stating a fact- it is true- more horses kill people than snakes every year, yet no one screams kill them. Hmmm...for that matter - trees apparently kill more people than snakes- yet no ones calling for trees to be cut down.....Same principle. And the fact that every second person I meet says 'EEWWWWWWWW snakes!!!!!!!!' and asks where their shovel is- is enough for me to agree with Sdaji on this one.

Could there be a rogue snake out there?? Maybe the aussie relative of Osama Bin Rattler in the other thread!

I think the owners of the horses should be smart, and take the advice to move anything not necessary in the paddock to help stop the snakes from having a home in that particular paddock. Or just move the horses to another paddock. I wouldn't leave them out where they are if I'd lost 4 of them to 'snakebites'.

or we could just do what Westaussie said :
maybe nuke the whole area, wait till the dust settles and then move back in. No pesky wildlife problems then.

Csn you get more info? Pics of the paddocks and surronds? Pics of the horses? Location? Is there anything that the snakes move towards to? Is there anything that the snakes move away from? How do they know its snakes that killed the horses? What is Sir Lancealots favorite colour? Is it seasonal or all year round?

I think when Magpie said no one had suggested culling horses, he was meaning that I had not said it as a serious suggestion. Clearly they aren't going to cull their horses, the point I was making, as was obviously clear enough to some, was that we can't always just have our own way with the world and modify it completely. Magpie's comment along the lines of "my friend was killed by a car, how can we stop cars from driving on the roads?" illustrates the point well.

Surprising that someone talks about culling snakes and then you get upset at the prospect of getting rid of horses (which incidentally cause great damage to Australian soils, which didn't "evolve" with hard hooved animals as was the case in most of the rest of the world, not to mention the land which needs to be cleared to keep them on, but that's another story). As pointed out, killing a few snakes will just cause more to move in. Unless you erradicate the local population, you're not going to achieve anything. It's very strange for so many horses to be dying from snake bites. I don't have a lot of experience with horses, but I do know of a lot of horses living in areas with large snake populations and haven't heard of problems, I'd actually question whether or not these deaths are really being caused by snakes.

I dont know if it actually works but allot of farmers and property owner's swear buy spraying/pouring deisel fuel around the boundaries of their propertys to deter snakes from coming on their land .

swampie said:
I dont know if it actually works but allot of farmers and property owner's swear buy spraying/pouring deisel fuel around the boundaries of their propertys to deter snakes from coming on their land .

PMSL talk about being environmentally friendly!!!

and if it works to deter them from entering, I am sure it will deter them from leaving too.

Funny eh ! Everyone on this site wants people to stop killing snakes and change peoples mentality towards snakes . This person with the horses has taken the time to write a letter to APS looking for help . Hopefully the same person does not read some of the posts that have been put up here . If someone can actually help this person with their problem , please try , if you can't help this person , why go on with crap ? . It gives no crediability to this site when people make silly comments . Everyone has to rembemer that we ( herp people ) seem to be the minority , and should all try to help people understand snakes and help with their problems . Just my humble opinion . :roll:

imo rockman i think the answer has been found, simply remove any hiding spots that the snakes might use and they should leave.

andrew

I agree SLACkra , remove all the hiding places and see what happens . Last night i had a 2.5mtr scrubby try to eat 1 of my chooks , he didn't succedd except for getting a mouth full of feathers and he got relocated .The night before i had caught a 2 mtr water python looking at my rats . For me , i know that they are just coming in for the food . : Its the joys of living in and around the bush . Some of the advice that is being handed out would be great if it was coming from people that either live on alot of land (50acres) or have lived on the land . Not good advice from people that live in a unit in the city . :wink:

Surely the best thing to do for these people would be to get them to contact their nearest Herp Society. If they are local to us I am certain we would have a number of people who will go and see them to help them, and their horses, and the snakes. I am guessing that they are not near us though because they talk of rainforest. But i am certain that if they are in Cairns members from there will help them etc. Otherwise, I guess its shovels for the snakes which may have no impact on the horses beacuse, as Sdaji said, it may not be them killing the horsest.

A little off topic........ I thought this was very interesting post. I am here in the States (Florida) where I live we really don't have a snake problem in my area but when a neighbor sees one they do kill it. When I see one in the yard I run tippy toe through the yard very, very quickly and have my Husband relocate it in the woods or reservation (after he inspects it to figure what kind it is :roll: while I scream at him from a location very, very far away to remove it)
I have always heard the story to use mothballs around the fence to stop snakes from moving into your territory never tried it myself but when I saw this post I looked some stuff up and found a pretty good article. I thought it would intrest ya'll http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/snake-repellant.htm

I agree. And if this person wants to lay rat bait to get rid of snakes, I don't even think they wll be bothered doing a lot of hard work moving hiding places etc either.

Unfortunately, if you live close to the bush, you will have snakes.

Casper said:
Sdaji said:
The snakes were there first, I'm on their side. More people are killed each year by horses than by snakes, maybe we should cull the horses. I don't particularly want horses dying in agony, but to me it's preferable than wild snakes dying in agony. Just my feelings, feel free to ignore them.

heard of irony Casper???????????
you really should think long and hard before you press the send button sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back