life expectancy of UV light bulbs???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sezzzzzzzzz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Should a UV bulb last longer than a month before it blows?

I'm spewing, i bought one on the 23rd Dec and went to turn it on this morning, and its blown.... at $26 a pop, I'm not real impressed....

Yeah they should. Do you still have the box and/or the receipt? I'd take it back. They will usually replace them

They usually last a long time. Like sax said take it back. As far as the UVA/UVB output usually lasts a year before it weakens.

Yeah they should. Do you still have the box and/or the receipt? I'd take it back. They will usually replace them

I got it on eBay (from a recommended store that I use often) so I've sent them an email this morning letting them know. Hopefully they will replace it.

hey Sezzzzzzzzzz what reptiles are you using uv for most reptiles will be quite ok with taking them outside a couple of times a week for their uv. this is what i do with all mine except for my green tree snake she is the only one that has a uv light...just a thought for you....

hey Sezzzzzzzzzz what reptiles are you using uv for most reptiles will be quite ok with taking them outside a couple of times a week for their uv. this is what i do with all mine except for my green tree snake she is the only one that has a uv light...just a thought for you....
When you have quite a few reptiles that option goes out the window.

When you have quite a few reptiles that option goes out the window.

no aussie pythons need any uv to survive , knowing sezzzzz through the forum id say she knows this and the uv is for her newly acquired bearded dragon

no aussie pythons need any uv to survive , knowing sezzzzz through the forum id say she knows this and the uv is for her newly acquired bearded dragon
That was another point I was going to bring up but, my boss was lurking and I couldn't finish.

I've had a UV globe blow and i know how frustrating it is. Luckily i got it from a local pet shop and took it back to them and they replaced it :)

I had this happen with a ceramic I purchased off eBay too! I put it in my GTP's enclosure when I was first setting up his tank and getting it ready for his arrival. (Testing the heat/humidity is stable over a few days). I'm so glad I was testing it too! Because it heat up great... It heated up so well that it went red and then exploded into sharp shards all over my cage. Lucky my little python wasn't in there! Needless to say, I purchase the more expensive ceramics now and test them for a few day before I put them in my enclosures. I think you've got to be careful with all the electrical goods you purchase, especially those that have been freighted and potentially damaged on the way to you.

I had this happen with a ceramic I purchased off eBay too! I put it in my GTP's enclosure when I was first setting up his tank and getting it ready for his arrival. (Testing the heat/humidity is stable over a few days). I'm so glad I was testing it too! Because it heat up great... It heated up so well that it went red and then exploded into sharp shards all over my cage. Lucky my little python wasn't in there! Needless to say, I purchase the more expensive ceramics now and test them for a few day before I put them in my enclosures. I think you've got to be careful with all the electrical goods you purchase, especially those that have been freighted and potentially damaged on the way to you.

luckily this didnt blow up it just stopped working. i generally find these guys great and have bought lots through them... heres hopping they'll replace.

That's crazy good thing you tested it out first. For heating sources and thermostats I usually opt out for the more expensive top of the line stuff. I like the peace of mind knowing things like that are far less likely to happen. I bought a cheap thermostat one time and within three days it failed. It pays off to test your equipment for at least a week before introducing your reptile.

luckily this didnt blow up it just stopped working. i generally find these guys great and have bought lots through them... heres hopping they'll replace.

Most eBay sellers replace goods that are faulty! Especially big sellers who want more of your business.

???, haha. I know there are some from reptapets that claim to have UVB and UVA but that is bogus, even their own website can't say they synthesise D3, they look like a normal basking light. Then there are the compacts of which there are a fair few cheapies from China floating around on ebay.

I think that the eBay seller is also a sponsor here. I'm not 100 %. It's a compact bulb. Lol. I'm such a ditz today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back