Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi the.badger,
thanks i think he is a great snake to and i love the md markings and in my unknowledgable opinion he does sound small as mine would be up around the 2 and a half foot mark and only 9 months old (he eats weekly at the moment)keep us informed on the decisions you make as to what you end up getting cheers Troy

Thanks Luke1, great answers, and I loved your ideas on GTS's, I didn't realise they're a daytime snake. But I think we'll start with a python. I've already accepted the fact that it will be the first of many haha.

no worries!!! glad to help! HAHA...yea thats what im doing when my friend comes down with it...(when ever that be:(:rolleyes:;)). far enough! pythons are good! i would strongly recomend (from what i have heard and from a tad bit of experience) to go with Murray darlings or bredlis! otherwise if you are going to get more then one....one of the Antaresia species would be good!

just cause theres a few pics up i thought i would post a few pics of when my spotted was little...this was my first snake!!!:D

Cheers,

Luke

Last edited:
Oooh so pretty. Love the lighter colouration he has! I like spotted's but my other half is hell bent on getting a striped snake.

Hi there
general info is pretty good to start with as most snakes pretty much need the same things, with a few exceptions.

first place to start looking for a snake could be on this website, there are heaps of breeders. other wise like mentioned herptrader.com.au has lots of breeders and if u find one near by you could go and visit. pet shops are way over priced. also there are online stores such as SnakeRanch, Ultimate Reptile Supplies and Southern Cross Reptiles (google these) these are very reputable places to buy from and u pick them up from ur nearest airport.

and hatchling snakes are generally kept in small containers when they are younger so ur idea about upgrading as they grow is good. a hatchling can live in a plastic tub for a few months to a year depending on breed, and they move into their large enclosure.

and to be honest alot of young snakes from different species look very similar when they are younger.

now as for species of snake it is truely up to you. what i would do is google australian pythons and look at the different colour and species, also on those breeder websites like snake ranch etc to view what is about. just as a general thing, jungle pythons are know to be very bitey. a good place to start is the bredli's (centralian) or murray darling carpet pythons. i have a diamond python, they are nice snakes but do require a bit more work, ie uv light and cooling in the winter, but do look very beautiful.

albino snakes are very expensive.

tree snakes are not so handlable and require special feeding unless u can wean they onto mice, and they let off smells when u hold them so more of a display animal.

the hypo bredli's would be a great place to start if u like the look of them, like mentioned around 600 - 700 depending where u get it from.
hypo coastal pythons are very pretty to but can get well over 8ft.

the snake would probably rather be kept in a quiet room, mine is in my bedroom but it is not to bright at night and is fairly quiet.
i dont think dogs will really freak ur snake out to much, u must keep the snake well out of reach and escape proof because ur dogs would probaby kill it if it got out. so best to be away from the dogs for safety reasons.

as for the plants, its best to keep it fake. there are some good fake leaves and stuff out there at the monemt. they dont look great on their own but it u get a few and put in some rocks and branches it makes it look really nice, plus u can clean it.

all snakes like to bask, the snakes that like more height are, jungles and diamonds, but most snakes will utilise the height if given a bit extra with a few branches to get up to.
but 2ft is pretty much fine for most snakes.

also if u can wait about 2 - 3 months all the babies will be hatching and there will be alot more variety to choose from, plus heaps of ads every where.

where looking at snakes first hand, make sure u get one that is feeding regularly by itself. most breeder will have a chart or dates to when the hatchling has fed and shed. if possible ask to see it fed, this also means u wont need to feed it for a bit:)

and all u will need for a hatchling for a few months is a plastic container from $2 shop, with ventilation (not big enough for it to escape from) a water bowl, 2 hides (one for hot end one for cold end) a heat mat/cord connected to a thermostat (importatnt so u dont cook ur snake) set to about 32 degrees, cool end at room temp:)

its all good fun and ur first snake will be a bit of a trial and error, just make sure u keep reading as much as u can on the breed u want before u get one so that u know the most u can to keep ur snake nice and healthy:)

and place u buy it from should help u out and if they dont, dont buy form them:)

Ahh thanks sweetangel, super fantastic answers. You should do this for a living ahhaha.

So can anyone tell me about underfed snakes? Will they always be small or will they catch up again if they're fed propperly before they reach a certain age? Should you start feeding them a normal amount straight away or work up to it over a few months? Will they end up with that pin head thingo that I've read about? I can't find any onfo about this in the other thread, but then again I'm fairly poor at navigating though forums, so if these questions have already been answered elsewhere, please point me in the right direction!

Ahh thanks sweetangel, super fantastic answers. You should do this for a living ahhaha.

So can anyone tell me about underfed snakes? Will they always be small or will they catch up again if they're fed propperly before they reach a certain age? Should you start feeding them a normal amount straight away or work up to it over a few months? Will they end up with that pin head thingo that I've read about? I can't find any onfo about this in the other thread, but then again I'm fairly poor at navigating though forums, so if these questions have already been answered elsewhere, please point me in the right direction!

under fed snakes should be fed for the size they are, so their food will be twice the size of their head and increased as they grow.
pin head syndrome is from over feeding or from feeding food that is to small for to long, ie the food isnt big enough to stretch their jaws just puts on weight.
they will catch up eventually, they just might be a bit smaller.
they should be fed like normal snakes ever 7 - 14 days of so depending on age.
you shouldnt have a problem with this if u buy from a breeder with an established feeder.

Thanks again sweetangel.

I know I wouldn't have a prob if I bought from a decent breeder BUT I am a massive sucker when it comes to saving animals, and yesterday a customer of mine told us a friend of hers had a MD for sale, so we went round to see and handle it. I thought it was a bit small for a 3yo male, at about 1 metre or so, and she said she feeds it every 4-8 weeks depending on the saeson which I thought was well on the stingy side. So now of course I want to take him home and give him a better life, but my hubby's all like "blah blah he's runty and starving and not a big healthy boy blah blah". So I just wanted to know if he would recover if we saved him, or if the hubby is right and he will have ongoing probs because he hasn't been fed properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back