Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the.badger

Reaction score
Hey guys, my husband has very recently decided he'd like to have a pet snake, and I must say I think it's one of his better ideas, and I'm all for it. We applied for a license this morning and have already visited a few pet shops to check out their stock and to try to get a bit of info, but I've found them all to be fairly unhelpful. I bought a book on Aussie pythons but again the info is all very general, and can't seem to find ANYTHING on the net, but this site kept popping up so I thought I'd ask the experts....

Firstly, where should we buy the snake from? The shops we went to didn't really have a massive range, most of the snakes were kept in Chinese take-away containers which I found a bit off, and I think one of the shops had a bunch of cross-bred things because all of their markings looked identical although they were labelled as different breeds. Is it OK to buy from a shop or would would it be better to buy from a breeder? If so, are there any pages which list the breeders in Victoria? I looked on the net but came up with nicks. I'd be willing to travel within Victoria of course, but would prefer not to order from interstate as I'd like to handle the snake first to get a feel for its temprament.

I guess you'd probably have to settle on a breed of snake that you're after before finding a breeder? So can you guys recommend a particular breed that would be suited to first timers? We're not looking to breed or anything, and would like to handle the snake a fair bit, so we wouldn't want anything TOO big (probably not over 8 foot?? is that considered big??), or a snappy snake (I've heard that Children's Pythons can be a bit bitey). I realise it's a personal preference but we're not overly interested in colouration, we're just after a friendly and suitable pet.

I quite like the look of albino snakes but I'm guessing they'd be waaaaay out of our price range. The hubbby likes tree snakes but from what I understand tree snakes aren't great for a first timer (messy, fragile and flighty???). My absolute fave looking snakes are the hypo pigmented guys, they are simply stunning! But I would imagine they'd be hard to find?? Any ideas on this?

I've got plenty of info on general maintenance, but was wondering if it would be suitable to keep its enclosure in a busy and noisy room like the lounge room, or if it would be better to give the little fella some privacy in a spare bedroom or something? Also, we have 2 dogs, and while we'll keep the dogs outside when handling the snake, I was wondering if we should keep the enclosure in a room that the dogs do go into? Does having dogs around stress snakes out? They're not crazy yappy dogs or anything, but I wondered if their scent might affect the snake...

Also on enclosures, is it better to upsize as the snake grows, or is it just the bigger the better? And can you put real plants in a snake enclosure or not? I've only seen fake plants in most enclosures except the diamond and jungle pythons... Does watering the plants create a humidity level that's too high for other breeds? And is it better to get an enclosure with a bit of height to it so the snake can climb, or is 2 foot OK? I guess this depends on the breed aswell...

Anything I've forgotten? As you can tell, I really don't have much of a clue about any of this and I really feel I need to get as much info as possible in the next 6 weeks (or however long it takes to get a license) because I want the best for our snake, and the best snake for us, seeings as it's going to be around for the next 15 years! Any help would be awesome.

if you're looking to buy from a breeder herptrader.com.au would be a good place to start :)
yes albinos are quite expensive, some can be around $20000... so i guess you wont be starting with that lol.
hypos are also slightly more expensive, i believe that a hypo bredli is only about $700 where a normal one is around $300 (i cant be entirely sure on that, with all the information being muddled around in my brain :p)
i think carpets are probably best to start off with??
i am also a n00b so cant really help with much else.
good luck with you search!

if you're looking to buy from a breeder herptrader.com.au would be a good place to start :)
yes albinos are quite expensive, some can be around $20000... so i guess you wont be starting with that lol.
hypos are also slightly more expensive, i believe that a hypo bredli is only about $700 where a normal one is around $300 (i cant be entirely sure on that, with all the information being muddled around in my brain :p)
i think carpets are probably best to start off with??
i am also a n00b so cant really help with much else.
good luck with you search!

Hypo bredli $400-$600 classics as low as $200 hypo bloodlines $300.

What's a hypo bloodline Dave94?

Basically, one of the parents were a hypo and the other was a classic, and then the babies will have 'hypo bloodlines' I'm pretty sure hypo bloodlines pared with another hypo bloodline can make hypo's though, (not sure someone correct me). So it will end up with some black but not as much as a classic.

Hi the.badger

I have two bredli hatchlings. One hypo and one classic...bredli's are a great first snake, as they are hardy and forgiving of beginner mistakes, and down rats like there's no tomorrow. Some can be a bit bitey (like my boy, but he's clamed dwn a heck of a lot) and then there's my female that's so placid, wouldn't hurt a fly (only rats at feeding time :D) I really do reccommend them, I got my hypo for $400 and my classic girl for $320, but like dave said you can get them around $200-250. Bredli's are gorgeous animals, I love mine to bits, if want a look, I have pics of both on my user page

Hey Badger.

Firstly i should point out that a lot of these Q's are covered in the wiki section of the site (look at top of page at menu bar).

have a good read, also use the search function to check other threads where people had the same questions, they do come up a lot.

Good luck, i hope all goes well :D

Wow, what a beautiful little boy he is, miley_take! I do love the bredlis... Do they stay red like that though? I've only seen small ones.

I'm not too fussed on the price, we'd be willing to spend up to about $700, so all the albinos and GTPs are out of the question but I think everything else is in the mix! Hehe. But it's good to know what the average prices are because prices vary sooooo much from place to place. Thanks guys.

Thanks bredli84, will check out the wiki section now!

My hypo bloodline female was $300, my hypo bloodline male was less then $250, but the breeder I got mine off is a nice guy ;)

Hypo is short for hypomelanistic. The hypomelanistic gene reduces the amount of melanin or black pigment in an animals appearance. This can occur in all sorts of reptiles.

As for all your other questions if you have a cruise around the forum you should find answers to all your query's. You should also be able to find a breeder on here that is in your area plus there are heaps of herps for sale on this site as well. Welcome and goodluck on hunting down you first snake, I should warn you it will be the first of many, ask anyone!:D

Haha, that's what they all say ClareB! I believe it. I'm finding the Wiki section super helpful, but (I hate to say this) a lot of the threads start out helpful but then degenerate into arguing! Haha. Not that it's not entertaining...

Kudos to the guys who put the Wiki section together, you lot have thought of everything ;)

its normal to keep hatchlings in chinese containers. 1st thing is to have a budget the you want to spend up to. then look at all the snakes that fit into this budget. now find the snake that you like. remember to look at how big the snake will be when fully grown. will you have the money to upgrade enclosures as your snake grows. talk with people and find out who is a trusted breeder/seller in your area. handle any snake before you buy it, and ask to see it feed.

Stimsons make great first snakes if you want something around the one metre mark. Ours is the most mellow snake ever. For a larger (2 m) snake, there are various carpets. Murray-Darlings are nice, but you might prefer the hypo Bredls. Albino carpets are wonderful animals with spectacular colouration and great temperaments. Maybe they'll be in your price range in a couple of years. (You can't stop at one.) Some people breed fantastic hypo coastals, but they get larger than many carpets.

Hatchlings for sale at the moment are 9 - 12 months old, so most are past the flighty/bitey stage and are established feeders. Check out the positive feedback section on this site for vendor reputations. HerpTrader and the APS For Sale forums are great.

As far as dogs go - see what your dogs are like with the snakes. Mine consider the snakes to be furniture and the snakes also ignore the dogs. (This may change in a few years when the Morelia get big enough to pose a threat to the fluff dog!) We use alcohol-based hand wash before and after handling as a way of training the snake that there's no food involved. When feeding we don't use hand wash.

Good on you for doing the research. Snakes make great pets. When setting up your enclosure, Herpshop (Brian) is a great source of equipment and advice - plus he's in your state!

lol badger, most threads degenerate into arguing. the net is not the place to go to find maturity ;)

just to add my opinion, as a first snake most carpets are fine, you could also consider a BHP or woma( needs an advanced lic), as well as the smaller species such as childrens, macs and stimsoni.
i have a few of these and the easiest are my bredli and my stimsoni. they are great animals, feed and handle really well. just keep in mind a reptile will not be like a dog or a cat. they do not bond with you or ever enjoy your company.

a few piccies cos i can :D

stimsoni
Clipboard01-2.jpg

bredli
Clipboard03-1.jpg

bredli1.jpg

water python
15.jpg

woma
Clipboard03.jpg

sorry bout all the pics

Thanks guys, you're all fantastic for helping me out. Now I'm not so worried about not know what the heck I'm doing coz I know you'll all sort me out, but I'm getting worried about developing a snake addiction hahahah.

yes, be very very afraid. Snake addictions are very easily formed and even a newbie purchasing just one species can find themselves being drawn to more and more snakes.
You have been warned!

Addiction is a terrible thing. We've gotten 4 snakes this year! Now there's the Veteran thread about womas going onto a Class 1 license in NSW.... The need to upgrade my license was a good excuse not to get one! If I get any more, pythondad will make me keep them in my lab at school.

Aww thanks bredli84, your bredli and stipmsoni are gorgeous! And the water python! And the woma hahaha. Jeez I'm hopeless.

Why do you need an advanced license for the BHP and woma? Any why are some species like the Darwins and the Brissies so much cheaper than some of the others? They don't seem as popular as say the bredlis or the diamonds etc.

Does anyone know anything much about the Murray Darlings? They don't seem to be very popular either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back