Lighting and heating suggestions wanted

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 270

Reaction score
I have bought an office style display unit that I am converting into a snake enclosure for when I get my diamond python.

The display size is 810(L)x380(D)x950(H). I am planning on using 2 thermostats. One for night time (not on a timer), and one for day time (on a timer also controlling a flouro light).

Mr.K has been helping me with some ideas but nothing has been finalized yet. I spoke to the Herp Shop with the idea of ordering some gear but we couldn't get on the same "wavelength". He did say that the floor would be too cold. I will wait until I know exactly what I need before calling him again.

Can any give me suggestions as to how I should heat this? It is for a hatchling up until she grows out of it. It will have plenty of hides.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about.
Enclosure01.jpg

Cheers,
Wombat.

Hi Wombat,
I would suggest using one of the bottom shelves as the first tank. cut out a rectangle shape from the middle of the door and place it with flyscreen and use a heat mat. Later place a shelf obout a third down from the top of the tank and place heat lights and cages unber it that give her a basking area under the light or a warm shelf to lay on (hot air raises so why waste it?)
Hope this helps
Leigh

I would put a low watage heat mat under the bottom of the cage and then have a shelf about half way up and basking lights above it. IMO just an idea.

Pretty big for a hatchling, wombat. But anyway, the herp shop was right about the floor being too cool but i dont think this will be a problem for a hatchling as they are very arboreal. However i dont think a hatchling will feel very secure in a cage this size so to get around that you will need to fill it with many hiding spots. On the odd occasion that i have kept hatchlings in large cages, i have filled the cage with very bushy branches from shrubs and placed them vertically in the cage, filling nearly all the cage. The hatchlings will coil within these branches and remain well hidden and you wont need to supply them with hiding boxes if you do this. Hatchlings settle in very quickly this way and will feed from the branches.
For heating i would use a reflector globe for daytime and a ceramic for night. You can also use a UV tube but i would just give them sunlight for 20-30mins, twice a week. I would put the air vent on the back wall towards the bottom, and globes mounted on the ceiling, facing down. The size cage you have can house your hatchling until its about 1.2m long.

I have bought enough sink strainers to make 2 vents on each side of the enclosure. Mr.K suggested putting 4 on each side but the shop didn't have enough strainers and I ran out of money.

I like the shelf idea and as you can see, I still have to find a branch.

The cupboard will be used for the bookwork. Only the top section will be used for the snake.

I was planning onusing at least 6 hides. 2 at floor level, 2 half way up and 2 near the top.

Nar Wommy, I suggested 2 top 2 bottom 1 each side (4 all up). 8 wouldn't be too much but not necessary as youd lose alot of heat.

I definately reckon splitting it into two seperate enclosures with a partition separating through the centre (horizontally) - much more suitable for a hatchie. Aslo the top enclosure gets heat from underneath. I just used an old door specifically for this purpose. it hides the wiring, heat lamps can be easily fitted to the underside, and can be used as a shelf to get belly warmth for your reptile.

thats all good but as 4 the thermostat dont buy 2 get a micro climate 04.B2 me has magic eye alows for night time drop GOOD STUFF
i got 1 the other day and i,m very happy they r $155 each get it from AGAMIDS or URS they r the s**t

Definitely too big for a hatchling Wombat, my thoughts would be too grow him up for maybe 8 months or more and then move him into this one. I agree that I wouldn't be going to the expense of 2 thermostats, why not just switch the day and night heat sources and have them go through one thermostat ?

I would say way to big for a hatchie !
But as for heating i have my 4x4 with a 50 watt heat panel in the top corner and they move all around the enclosure(adult darwin enclosure )
The temp gradient is 33 under the heat down to 25 on the floor in the furthest corner from the heat .So i cant see why the bootom would be to cold after all its thier choice !

hey wombat like Mr K said the microclimate thermostats will do both day and night time temps for you in the one unit, the only thing you have to be aware of is that the B1ME ($155.00) is for any heat source (up to 600w) and the B2ME ($130.00) is ONLY for non light emitting heat sources (also up to 600w).

The accuracy of these units is fantastic, we use and reccomend them to all of our customers.

Take care
Matt
animalattraction.com.au

Also a heat cord run underneath the bottom shelf will prevent it getting too cold

Hope this helps
Matt
animalattraction.com.au

Re: RE: Lighting and heating suggestions wanted

serpenttongue said:
For heating i would use a reflector globe for daytime and a ceramic for night. You can also use a UV tube but i would just give them sunlight for 20-30mins, twice a week. I would put the air vent on the back wall towards the bottom, and globes mounted on the ceiling, facing down.

What is the advantage of a ceramic over a heat globe apart from the fact that it doesn't emmit any light? I would still like to see the snake moving around at night even if I connect a low wattage blue globe in parallel with the ceramic.

The click-clack will be used for a feeding bin and I'm not using heat mats.

Cheers,
Wombat.

RE: Re: RE: Lighting and heating suggestions wanted

I'll will look into the microclimate thermostats but they are a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Cheers,
Wombat.

Just to add some closure to this, I have ordered the stuff today.

Mr.k and serpenttongue helped me though PM. Big thanks to you both! :!: :p And stockeh help finalize the order. :p

Thank you all for your input.

Cheers,
Wombat.

looks good mate, yeh id put a low watage basking light and a heating mat to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back