Lily poisoning??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squinty

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever had a cat get lily poisoning??

A friend was drunk on the weekend and called me 10 times on sunday morning and to male up for it he gave us a bouquet of lilies. One of our cats has been throwing up and not eating wince monday so we took her to the vet. Vet says it's lily poisoning and she has a less than 50% chance of survival. Pretty crap.

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this before with a cat and what the outcome was??

If they are that toxic to cats why is there more advertising of the facts?? Even if it's just a warning from the florists??

I hope the little girl pulls through.

There is a big poster on our vet's wall saying that all lillies are dealy to cats, but if it wasn't for that poster I would never have known. You are right in saying that florists should issue a warning when people buy lillies.

Vet just called and said she had a siezure. She may not make it though the night. My mrs is very distressed. Sad face.

Sorry to hear. Just curious why would a cat eat them? Do they harm other animals?

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. We have four cats and never heard about lily poisoning until about 2 months ago - and prior to that we used to have lilies quite frequently. I really hope that your cat makes it.

In response to cris, cats often eat vegetation in an effort to settle their stomachs (it usually makes them sick). Cats that are indoors only (like ours) obviously don't get to go outside to get grass so when some vegetation comes into the house that is on display (i.e. flowers) they go nuts for it.

Squinty, hope she comes right. Good luck

Squinty, I'm so sorry to hear that! Your poor cat. I have never heard of lily poisoning before.
Fingers crossed she'll be okay.

Wow....I bet your drunk friend feels REALLY bad now :(

I hope your cat pulls through....

Michelle

Indoor cats are excited about large bright smelly flowers that are out of the ordinary in their home. It's that toxic that they only have to brush up against it and then clean themselves. It causes acute reinal kidney failure.

The treatment is quite agressive. Some injections and then a dialysis type thing where they put a cathata in and pump heaps of fluid through. Survival rate is low but we have to give her a chance.

The mrs is freaking out and blaming herself. Even going as far to say it's her fault from buying her from the RSPCA and if she wasn't slefish and wanted another cat she would still be alive with another family. She's a heaps good cat too. Not lovey dovey but fun. She does laps ofnthe house and attacks us in the mornings plus my big boy cat loves her to bits. I hope she's pulls through.

I wonder how I go about trying to lobby for signs to be put in florists?? I just don't want anyone else to go through this.

FAQI - Flower Association of Queensland Inc.

This is a Queensland Association. I could not readily find other states, but maybe if you contacted them, they could give you contact details for other states?
Not sure how far it will get you, but its maybe worth a try?
I could find Floral Art Associations, but they are not the same thing.

Michelle

very sorry to hear dude n i hope she pulls through.

now i had no idea about lily poisoning but ive never owned a cat either. if lily poisoning is that bad for them then i definitly think there should be rules in place in terms of florists having the obligation to warn the customer and what not and good on you for wanting to lobby for it.

all the best mate and i hope she pulls through, dean.

very sorry to hear dude n i hope she pulls through.

now i had no idea about lily poisoning but ive never owned a cat either. if lily poisoning is that bad for them then i definitly think there should be rules in place in terms of florists having the obligation to warn the customer and what not and good on you for wanting to lobby for it.

all the best mate and i hope she pulls through, dean.
a cat owner should know this if they r going to order lillies there are big signs at most vets ive been to warning them about the danger of lillies

We have never heard of it. I've spoken to 10 people since she went to the vet, all cat owners and not one have ever heard of it. My mate was only trying to be nice. We had lilies in the house the other month as we had it for sale and had them on display. It's just unfortunate. I have only ever been to the vet twice and I never saw a sign. We are waiting to hear from them today about how she is.

a cat owner should know this if they r going to order lillies there are big signs at most vets ive been to warning them about the danger of lillies

I have owned cats, and have had the need to frequent vets and have NEVER seen a sign, or knew about lillies.. :?

Vet called. She lasted through the night so that's a positive. Looking a little more alert today. Blood tests show electrolytes dropped slightly. Still not in clear but it's a tiny step in right direction. Hoping for her to pee today.

Id be more worried about the damage its caused to her kidneys now. Lilys are very toxic to cats, i also know this as most people would if they take their animal to the vet on frequent occasions (or if you have that many that you spend most of your time there lol) and there are signs everywhere. So next time your waiting for the vet, and just sitting there, stand up walk around and look at the cork boards etc. Thats were you would have found it. Poor little thing though, i could only imagine what shes going through

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back