Lily poisoning??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting another is a sure fire way to help get Cosmo over it.

+1

Agree with Phil, here, Squinty. It's so easy to attribute our animals' behaviours to human-like emotion, but, hard as it is to remember sometimes, it just doesn't work that way for them. They don't have the same grieving process that humans do. We go through the seven stages of grief. Cats and dogs, mostly, become confused as to why their routine/environment/hierarchy has changed.

When I came to Vietnam, both my two dogs were "depressed" and acting strangely for about 3 weeks. As much I would like to be able to say that they were just missing me, the reality is that the leader of the pack had suddenly disappeared, and they didn't know who was in charge or what their routine would be or who would be in charge (though, I still like to think they miss me a little bit :oops: I sure as hell miss them!). When I get home, they'll be ecstatic, but I'll also have to be on top of making sure they know I'm back in charge ;)

Getting another cat soon will accomplish the same thing for Cosmo that it will for you and your wife - provide another outlet for the energy that he is currently putting into trying to look for his old mate. If YOU aren't ready, that's another kettle of fish, but Cosmo would probably like a new friend sooner than later. Good luck - feeling for you and your wife this week.

Went to go back to RSPCA today to see the 9month old again and maybe have a cuddle but they were closed for some reason. He'd probably be gone by now anyway. Oh wells. There will be more.

So very sorry for your loss x

A lot of vets have signage on the walls about Lily Toxicity. It's such a shame so many people learn about these things the hard way.

Toxic to dogs and cats - grapes and all derivatives, onions, garlic and all their derivatives, nuts, anything made with cocoa (choc, some garden mulch, some dairy products), beef can also exacerbate some allergies in dogs.

Add to the list avocado for rodents/guinea pigs/rabbits/birds.

Spinach for beardies.

* That garden mulch made from cocoa shells is highly toxic to dogs and has caused many deaths and still so few people know about it. It really does smell like cocoa and is quite tasty (so i'm told), for the dog owners it may be worthwhile looking it up so you know not to use it :)

wives tail :) same applied with chives/shallots etc. bear in mind that even a small dog can sometimes consume a rather large quantity of those listed above and never feel any side effects. and i know my dogs love a little grape every now and then and yes, mine have managed to polish off entire blocks of chocolate and they're fine...

i have been told about using garlic to treat fleas on multiple occassions. i always ask "does your dog have fleas?" and they always say yes. now, im no rocket scientist, but it sounds to me like whatever you're doing isn't, you know, working... im not saying garlic cant be used to treat fleas, but ive never seen a situation where it has worked.

hi squinty im a junior vet nurse and we have many issues with this problem imk sorry to say this but they are poison to youir cat and yes they will eat them if they have access to them and they will eventually get poisoned. Im sorry about this squinty but chances of living are less then 50.
We warn our customers not to but lillies if they have a cat and cats will munch them or lick them and next thing they have seizures. im sorry

hi squinty im a junior vet nurse and we have many issues with this problem imk sorry to say this but they are poison to youir cat and yes they will eat them if they have access to them and they will eventually get poisoned. Im sorry about this squinty but chances of living are less then 50.
We warn our customers not to but lillies if they have a cat and cats will munch them or lick them and next thing they have seizures. im sorry
Think he worked that one out ..the cat died ....

shooshoo, spinach isnt toxic to beardies, it binds the calcium and if fed on a regular basis can contribute to MBD,...i am led to believe that avocado and rhubarb is toxic for beardies tho

Well.........

My friend who's girlfriend works at the vet called me today and asked if we were going to get another cat at some stage and if we were they have one at the vets for adoption if were interested. Went and had a look and a cuddle and came home with a new cat. His name is Benny and he is pretty cuddly. All the girls at the vet came to say goodbye and all got very teary that he was leaving. I'll post a pic soon once he has settled. The mrs is happy now.

That's great that you can give another life a chance Squinty :) I'm sure Benny will help the healing process *hugs to Benny!*

Chris - thanks for that! Yes i'm sure now that i think of it Saz told me the same thing, but my partner just said that last night sio i added it in without thinking, silly me! Didn't know about Rhubarb though, that's good to know although i don't tend to have it in the house very often.

We had a young cat in for support and bloods monitoring after it had a good dose of lily poisoning a few months back. The little thing was very very lucky given the amount it ingested as she survived and suffered very few on-going ill effects from it after she recovered. It's good to keep a box of old-style laundry soap flakes in the house as one or two of those on the back of the tongue will cause pretty much immediate emesis. So if you notice them eating something suss or you're not sure you can get them to throw up ASAP, put the vomit in a bag and take it to the vet. Good if you are any more than 10 minutes drive from your vet as sometimes that extra length of time before they throw up the bad stuff can make all the difference (think rat bait, paracetamol, liquid poisons, etc.)

One final note while i'm on the topic of cats and common toxicities; Vitamin A toxicity from eating too much Liver, causes degeneration of the joints. And i can't remember the name of it but fussy cats like Siamese getting locked joints from eating too much heart. Bleh, fussy kittehs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back