limestone

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNT

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I recommend limestone for setups for small snakes. It is one of the commonest rocks on earth. There is always some near you. Find a geo map. Caves? Coastline? Ask, there will be limestone within a few hors drive.

You need to hunt for good pieces but the shapes are great and often there are hollows and tunnels. All our hatchies have played with/ explores 3 pieces I picked up years ago.

Some photos of 2 of our 3 standard pieces. (thumbnail for size scale). The third piece is in with the bhp and he's all over it at the moment.

Bit 1

DSC_0060.jpgDSC_0055.jpgDSC_0056.jpg

Two tunnels at ground level and one through the guts. Incomplete tunnels perfect for lodging fake foliage.

Bit 2

DSC_0061.jpgDSC_0063.jpgDSC_0062.jpg

3 tunnels through this little piece.

Seek and ye shall find! Hatchies and small snakes love this stuff.

It's heavy too so if you place it right there is little chance of them moving it around (unless you have a big bhp :))

food for thought - if a snake throws up on it the hydrochloric acid in its stomach could react with the limestone. This creates calcium chloride, carbon dioxide and water.

however i don't think the snake would have enough HCl in it's stomach to be able to react with the limestone hahaha, just thinking aloud.

oh well newspaper and bleached walls it is!

True, all our guys and girls have enjoyed these rocks, they may be cage bred but they still have a mind and that (as well as the body) enjoys exercise.

not many places selling it as yet unfortunately but have seen 1 or 2, but yeah it sure does look good and you seem to have some real nice pieces there.
plenty of fake stuff like that around too, got a nice fake piece in the fish tank.

not many places selling it as yet unfortunately but have seen 1 or 2, but yeah it sure does look good and you seem to have some real nice pieces there.
plenty of fake stuff like that around too, got a nice fake piece in the fish tank.

I found it at our local aquarium, but at $14.95/kg, i nearly dropped it on my foot!

they had some lovely pieces, but IMO, not worth $14.95/kg for a pretty rock....

I will be taking Steve's advice and searching for some..

Browny, the fake stuff is ok but doesn't have the smells/ tastes of the real gear. And it's all around you. Go looking for rocks and the real world unfolds! You never know what you might find! An adventure, a drama, life!

Spot on . Never know what's around the corner, that's the plan!

That looks similar to some of the rocks you can find along the Gregory River and around Riversleigh. Do you find many fossils on your rock hunts, Steve?

Nah, he mainly comes home and empties out his head, that's where his rock collection comes from.

Oh wait... she's promised to show me her feet; another oportunity down the toilet!

He found her being captain of an 8 ball team, so she bossed him around for awhile. But the first time
we met him and his mate ran away from the 2 scary chicks at the bar : )

Most limestone in the Territory is too old for macro fossils but there are some infill sites with crocs, diprotodons, etc. (the odd Darlyn, etc)

Alas, the pink knickers have been retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back