Live Plants.............

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamh

Reaction score
As a general rule it seems that live plants are not that popular with Herpers. I know the problems of pathogens and other nasties that can be introduced in soil etc. but If done correctly I'm sure that plants can be successful in the enclosure.

The question is which plants would be most suitable. I think that some of the thick leaf bromeliads would probably be a good choice as the have a little pool of water in the middle and having a thick fleshy leaf probably don't give off too much water vapour.

Any comments of pros/cons.

G

I reakon loads of ventilation to stop humid environments that could give the reptile breathing problems and have a haven for bacteria and use plants that dont need much water and it might be ok.

I have some alfalfa growing in with my bearded dragon so she always has a constant supply of food fresh greenery.
Alfalfa is about the easisest thing to grow just cuck a couple of seeds in a jam lid with some water and you will have alfalfa in 3 days.
I know this isnt really what the question was asking but at least its related to the topic. :roll:

Bren that's given me an idea.

If I set up the appropriate plant I can put my Thermometer with the Hygrometer in and measure the humidity. If it's ok then it should be ok.

Does that make sense

I think I understand so if it works u will keep it in.But if it doesnt work u will take it out
:?

Yep that seems reasonable. If the humidity change is minimal then I would think that there should be little chance of any nasty side effects. I guess the main thing would be a regular clean using the old vinegar peroxide process to kill off any nasties.

Still I'd be interested if anyone's got any first or second hand experiences.

G 8)

I'd reckon some fleshy succulents would look good and be tough enough to handle it. Sort of like cactuses with no thorns. There's lots available in all diferent colours. I have also heard of people using bonsai. If you sterilized the potting mix, then planted a seed or a cutting that was as clean as you could make it, that would help stop any bacteria coming in with the plant. Of course, airborne bacteria could still grow in the moist dark environment provided. Something I just though of is that lucky bamboo that everyone is selling now. It is grown just in a vase of water, you could just put fresh water in every week.
Also there is tilandsia's (sp?) or air plants. they require no soil and only need a spray of water every few days. Would imagine there'd be a nursery in sydeny that stocks them. :D

I know ppl that grow grass in their cages and it doesnt affext humidity too much LOTS OF VENTELATION and the lawn grass not the smoke grass they have pebbles as the substrate and gust chucked a few seeds in it looks nice.

Hi,
I have seen heeps of common tree snake enclosures with live plants, like vines and things. I know that with pythons live plants are generally destroyed.
Cheers

old mans beard would look great draped across a branch or super glued to the back of the enclosure
also orchids dont need much water they grow in dark places and they grow in bark so they might work :)

if you were leaning towards a suculent of some kind try alovera plants

Hi,
You would probably have to get orchids well established before you put them in though. The ones I have are very fragile, how ever sarahbell is right they dont need very much maintenance.
Cheers

the guy i got my vitticeps off had cactuses in his enclosure and there was no soil or anything just sand.
he said the beardies like to climb it and the spikes don't hurt them.

Looks like there are a few ideas here. I'll do a bit of research. Need plants that don't grow too quick, don't mind the temp/humidity/light found in an enclosure. Need to be tough enough to put up with a python. Sounds to me like a STICK.

I'll continue my investigation.

G 8)

I've got some of those plants in my cages graham, I call the branches....

grahamh said:
Looks like there are a few ideas here. I'll do a bit of research. Need plants that don't grow too quick, don't mind the temp/humidity/light found in an enclosure. Need to be tough enough to put up with a python. Sounds to me like a STICK.

I'll continue my investigation.

G 8)
Oops, only just found this oldie, no wonder little interest in my "plants for big snakes " thread! :oops: p.s might have have to revise my vote for aps comedian here! lol :D ~ the bonsai idea is interesting since im into bonsai but i'm not sure i'd risk my babies with monty! I do have a quite stout ficus benjemina bonsai but i'm thinking the milky sap might be an irritant if a leaf breaks off and he gets it in his eye! have to stick to the stick i think. Graham what did you end up doing about plants?

have a gum tree mini in there give me a babie gum tree bonsise thats like 500 years old and like 2 inches tall

Hi Wattso

so far all I've got is fat sticks as you can see
TopEnc1.sized.jpg

but I really would like to put a bit of greenery in with my Bredli (at least while they are small) - I guess I could put in some cut lengths of vine and train a creeper (like Ivy or Greebo or anything that winds itself around things looks green and looks like it belongs there).

Graham (I'ts not my fault!)

Graham your setup looks perfect for desert like species maybe some dry spinifex grasses would look good in there? :D

This may sound like a really dumb question, but what exact bacteria and stuff are you worried about? When I did a stint of work experience at the serpentaria at taronga zoo they often used plants in with the snakes to no (in my very very newbie eyes) ill effects... how would you go about sterilising soil anyway?

inquiring minds,

- liedra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back