Live Plants.............

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i was also wondering about the sphangum moss stuff (i don't think that is splet right lol), do you need to sterilze that before you use it?

bit off the topic sorry.

Summer

We use plants in some of our enclosures and have never had a problem.
Varieties such as Cordyline Artificulus and Ficus Plasticus are two that are really doing well.
Both go well in no soil and funnily enuff dont need water either.

Seriously though I know the idea of live plants in an enclosure is appealing but for mine it aint worth the risk.Sure you can sterilise the soil but as soon as a snake does his business on the plant/soil then bacteria would have a chance to grow and create potential problems.

cheers M....

Ps,Aviendha.Spagnum moss shouldnt need to be sterilised although you would need to replace it fairly often just like what you do with other substrates such as breeders choice etc.

you know, i reckon it's worth a shot. in their natural environment they're coming across plants and that all the time so just pass on the fertilizer etc to be safe. my little guy loves his chinese water bamboo and if ur worried about the soil thing, this stuff can grow in a glass of water which could double as a water bowl i guess. might up the humidity more tho but if u keep it in the cool end of the tank i don't think you'd have too much of a problem. just my inexperienced opinion tho but imagine how much nicer it would be in there having a REAL LIVE plant to explore and play with.

haha magpie. ive got those in my 'garden'. i think maybe dandelions, milkthistle, chickweed, clover ...forage food for them and in a vermiculite strata. safe and food on tap. the alfalfa is an excellent idea isnt it? ill try it. (5 bearded Dragons, one pair of henrylawsonii) EM.

omg! is that a pic of mum i see above me? and little bro too?

on the topic, i would love to put live plants in my tank, but i'm not confident enough that she wont get germs or mites or something.....

also, i tend to kill plants, even cactuses.

hello mummies little girl... yep thats me and lewy..how about you come up and get a better pic for me and make it all good?

the killing plants is a genetic thing.. its called blackthumb. ficus plasticus may be youre only way chicken.

the dirt can hold pathenogens liedra. some can be eliminated by oven baking the soil but you can destroy minerals and things to doing that. itd be better with some hydroponic setup.

EM. ::waves to daughter and grandsnake::

Heehee 'grandsnake' that's what my Mum calls them too... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back