Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greeny1

Reaction score
yesterday i went herping with jamesf55 from this site. on the way to his house we saw a sugar glider tangled on barb wire. it took us along while with a lot of biting and scratching and we finally had to cut the barb wire to get him off. he must have been there since the night before so he was quite thirsty. we got a couple of pics of this. then we took it down to a local fauna carer who untangled the barb wire left in his wing and we left to finally do some herping!

we went on a rainforest walk to look for southern angle headed dragons. we had no luck but we did find a local lacie in the carpark. (sorry for the bad pic)

we also checked a few tin spots and we didnt find a single thing! as it started to get dark we went for the night herping. on the tar road we found a beautiful scaly foot crossing the road. of caorse we pulled over and grabbed a couple of pics.

we then went to the same walk where we looked for the angle heads. we only had a basic look but i found a young leaf tail on a tree. i wouldnt have seen him if he wasnt spooked by the light.

then on the road we saw a marsh frog, as we hadnt been seeing much we decided to photgraph him aswell.

we drove around for alot longer without seeing any reptiles. altough we didnt see many reptiles we did see a lot of mammals and birds; bandicoots, native mice, wallabys, bettong, owl eating a native mouse, more owls, possum and more. sorry we didnt photograph any of these as they quickly ran off the road.

the next day we didnt get up till late, we went to the bush around off the edge of the beach and we found about land mullets. apparently this was a lousy number and james usually finds about 20.

we then checked some more tin with still nothing! in the end we dint find one snake! anyway when james dropped me home on the side of our road we found a beardie on a log. they are very common on my road so it wasnt really a surprise.

anyway after our rather unsuccesful herping we still had a good time and found some species i hadnt found before.

I cant belive we didnt see a snake over the whole time, usually we would have seen atleast a yellow faced whip snake under the tin and a small eyed snake on the drive, you are bad luck :lol: but nah it was fun, was great to see a scaly foot with an original tail finally, same with the baby leaf tail, getting sick of seeing adult ones ;) though good to see you had fun, should do it again in another few weeks with hopefully more snakes, you forgot to add we saw garden skinks :lol: and yes 5 land mullets was a very lousy number ;) your pictures turned out good though.

oh and I hope you liked my driving ;)

hey I still have to load them onto the computer lol, I still havnt even done the pics from herping the other week.

Good work fellas. Might be an idea to leave the tin dumps til it gets a bit colder in winter and autumn.

You're very lucky to have beardies so close to your house.

-H

thanks nephrurus, we did thinkhat about the tin although it was very overcast this morning when we checked it with still no luck! i would have thought we'd see a whip sanke or something. beardies are very common here. the road is 3.5km of dirt and there is usually not many people driving on it. we usually see them basking on the road.

thanks henry, yer in winter we get a huge amount of snakes under them, usually marsh snakes, yellow faced whip snakes, eastern small eyed snakes blackish blind snakes, ctenotus robusta, tiliqua scincoides, amphibolurus muricatus, and a few species of frogs and the usual three toed skinks and garden skinks aswell as calyptotis. I think the tin is heating up to much, I have tried moving some into two layers, we have still been getting yellow faceds even in the hot weather under them untill yesterday. I agree with you henry, It would be great to have the beardies so close, I dont seem to see them and I am only about half an hour away from him.

I might stick some pictures up later, they are now on the computer, thats better then before I will compress a few now and post them

Sounds like a great time Greeny and 'James' lol. Good on you guys for rescueing the little glider :)

Please Don't ask us were we found anything, I will tell you now to save you asking, it was at a few places on the mid north coast, thats the best you will get.
PC220088.jpg

PC220077.jpg

PC220074.jpg

PC210064.jpg

PC210063.jpg

PC210060.jpg

PC210059.jpg

PC210049.jpg

PC210044.jpg

PC210041.jpg

Enjoy, "James"

Last edited:
wow, great photos james, glad you got a pic of the wire through the glider. lucky your camera will still be clear after you zoom in. thats howcome my lacie pic was crap. lol

wow, great photos james, glad you got a pic of the wire through the glider. lucky your camera will still be clear after you zoom in. thats howcome my lacie pic was crap. lol

maybe get a camera for christmas ;) I didn't use zoom really I just stood on the stump post thing and it turned out fine plus I cropped it a little

Great pics guys. I always like seeing pics of leaf tails on the tree or rock, showing just how effective their camouflage is, they're unreal. Nice work with the glider too, I'm sure they were bites of appreciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back