Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just listening to Dr Chris Brown on the radio; he was saying how he doesn't understand the whole pet snake thing.... Blah blah blah...
He then went on about the myth about the python sizing up it's owner to eat it (wish I had a dollar for every time someone's told me that) and he said that he knew of a lady in which this actually happened to. Said a lady hadn't been heard from for a few days and had been killed by her scrub in Victoria ...
All of a sudden my level of respect has dropped a bit...

I have heard him mention the whole not really understanding people keeping pets as snakes before but are you sure that he wasnt taking the piss? He does deal with snakes from time to time so I couldn't imagine that he would believe this myth.

He then went on about the myth about the python sizing up it's owner to eat it
Think about it - any animal that sizes up it prey before immobilizing it would starve to death.

Im personally tired of people trying to convince me that wild pythons are breeding with venomous snakes and creating hybrids...Its true my uncles cousins friend said so... :rolleyes:
I've been hearing this since since 1976 On the rare occasion I respond back I now say that no museum has such a hybrid in their collections. Some people can get quite angry when you say that ( And I'm such a fragile little flower too :shock: )

. I heard Dr Karl ...
Met him - nice guy. The most impressive thing about Dr Karl is that if you use evidence to contradict him he will accept it.

Met him - nice guy. The most impressive thing about Dr Karl is that if you use evidence to contradict him he will accept it.

Nothing against the bloke, just thought someone with his huge bank of random facts would have realised that there was little credence in that one...

Why? Snake biology is a pretty niche hobby. Sure it irritates me when people spout things they don't really understand, but there's a lot more concerning beliefs out there than elapid-morelia breeding viability

It's surprising because I assume that people who work in management positions in high profile companies would possess the requisite intelligence to understand that a king brown wouldn't interbreed with a carpet python. If some one told me that orcas and humpbacks were interbreeding I wouldn't believe them, and I certainly wouldn't go around telling people it were so unless I researched it and found it to be true.

And to think he couldn't get any stupider... I watched Bondi Vet once.
He chopped off a rabbits broken back leg, and then gave it mouth to mouth when its heart stopped beating during the operation.
It died.
Im sure he's a nice bloke and all, but if his show, and what the OP claims he said is anything to go by, he's not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed..

Im personally tired of people trying to convince me that wild pythons are breeding with venomous snakes and creating hybrids...Its true my uncles cousins friend said so... :rolleyes:

You've never seen a venomous Stimson Python eating a man before? You need to get out more!

I really wouldn't put that much faith in celebrity "experts", when I did horticulture years ago there was a woman in my class who was in her late 30's early 40's, she was failing all the technical subjects like soil analysis etc, but the teacher thought she'd be great on Gardening Australia. He had some contacts and low and behold, shes ended up being a Gardening Australia host and never even finished the first year of the course.

I've heard so many things like that in my short time keeping snakes. A friend came over the other day and said my yearling darwin was smelling me because 'he is aggressive and is waiting till he is big enough to eat me'. Some people..

Keep in mind that despite whatever you see on the show he IS a practicing veterinarian in Sydney so he does have a degree and must have some level of competency, however relative.

Just a few weeks ago over a few drinks a co-workers friend told me the sizing up story happened to them when they were a teenager, their mum owned a python who she had to get rid of because it was sizing them up for dinner lol! And tonight i was told that all the vens are interbreeding hahahha.

"hmmmm?? Nope, won't fit just yet....."

7cb8ede4-7896-36a7.jpg

You all know what an 'expert is don't you.

X is an unknown quantity & a spert is a drip under pressure. LOL.

Cheers
Ian

I was just listening to Dr Chris Brown on the radio; he was saying how he doesn't understand the whole pet snake thing.... Blah blah blah...
He then went on about the myth about the python sizing up it's owner to eat it (wish I had a dollar for every time someone's told me that) and he said that he knew of a lady in which this actually happened to. Said a lady hadn't been heard from for a few days and had been killed by her scrub in Victoria ...

I actually heard about this

Doesn't it go something like that lady that swallowed a spider that swallowed a fly that wriggled and giggled insider that she swallowed the rat that rattled insider that she swallowed a scrubbie!!!!!! LOL

Yeah, right in my dreams .......

fear is a misunderstanding and poor coping mechanism used by people with the inability to rationalise between danger and caution.

It's very sad that he's said that, now people will believe that story even more. I usually laugh at people who tell me that story. They don't like it very much, especially if it's at a party and everyone is listening. If they used their brain and researched things for themselves instead of believing it and repeating it without question they wouldn't end up embarrassing themselves. Now to see how long it takes for someone to tell me that story and back it up with Dr. Chris said... and then get mad at me when I correct it. This is going to be fun :D

I had a MASSIVE debate/argument over a facebook pet page about pythons and vens and that story came up!! (lady had a python "that she let sleep in her bed" (***? Do people actually HEAR what's coming out of their mouths LOL) and she got rid of it because it was sizing her up)

I had no issue with even calling that person a liar - as she stated that it was her brother's friends mum and she said "well I even have a newspaper clipping about it"

Ah, luvvy, just because you have something from a newspaper - DOESN'T MAKE IT FACTUAL.

I told her to google the myth. Didn't hear from her again...... Stupidity breeds fear.

I read that thread before it was taken down on facebook; her facts jumped from knowing the person to 'her son kept the clipping because he was into reptiles'. Woman sounds like she wouldn't know a carpet python from a trouser snake.

"hmmmm?? Nope, won't fit just yet....."

7cb8ede4-7896-36a7.jpg

Photoshop anyone ....

Well if that happened, the kid is doing the right thing by staying still and not doing anything that might provoke a defensive bite.

Like as if any parent is going just stand there and take a photo while a snake is within inches of their little boy.

Ah, luvvy, just because you have something from a newspaper - DOESN'T MAKE IT FACTUAL.

I told her to google the myth. Didn't hear from her again...... Stupidity breeds fear.

Exactly!!! I hate it when people say "but I read it in the newspaper." Nobody should still be that stupid. Funny how she didn't reply when you told her to Google it. I like how she changed her story too... if people are going to lie they need to have a good memory, and they probably shouldn't lie over the net where everyone can see the previous posts they made... lol. Good on you for catching her out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back