look what i found this morning

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again,

Africa I was thinking the same thing when I seen the pics of your little one's hatching I thought yours looked more course. Where I live this is all that is available unless I order some and it was hard enough trying to explain what I wanted to start with should i try and get more course vermiculite and change them over or just leave it.

Thanks for picking that up Africa.

Carly

Others here may disagree with this but I think that vermiculite looks too fine a grade for hatching the snake eggs. I think you get much better hatch rates with a coarser grade vermiculite.
Have you had failed clutches with finer grade vermiculite african, or is that just what you've read?

I've heard it many times, enough that I believe it (at least enough to not bother experimenting ;)) but I've never actually talked to someone about their experiences with different grades.

well done carly, were you expecting eggs?

I seen the mating but didnt really expect eggs until after she shed then started lying sideways and then I set up the incubator just in case and then the eggs came very very exciting now I only have to stress about them hatching fingers crossed. If the vermiculite is to fine will some of them still hatch does anyone know.

Thanks

Carly

Congratulation Carly - I really hope I get to go down this track one day! I have an aweful lot to learn :roll::wink:

How good is Africa?! :D Only a keen knowledgable eye could have picked up something like that! :lol: I know it's used for incubating eggs but really.....what exactly is vermiculite?

Have you had failed clutches with finer grade vermiculite african, or is that just what you've read?

I heard it from the mouth of one of Australias most respected herpers who HAS conducted a hell of a lot of research and this is from HIS personal experience.

It is enough for me to take it as gospel mate :)

carly689 said:
Hi again,

Africa I was thinking the same thing when I seen the pics of your little one's hatching I thought yours looked more course. Where I live this is all that is available unless I order some and it was hard enough trying to explain what I wanted to start with should i try and get more course vermiculite and change them over or just leave it.

Thanks for picking that up Africa.

Carly

No worries Carly :) That is a difficult question you ask! I don't think I would change it now that the incubation process has begun but would just keep it in mind for future clutches. Please understand that this is purely just my opinion and there are many herpers here with far more experience than I.

I will definately keep it in mind for next time and just hope for the best with this clutch, they look exactly the same as when they were laid but they are only a week old and it might be to soon to tell if they are ok. Can anyone tell me where I can get the proper vermiculite from as in Mildura the one ive got is the only one I can find.

Thanks

Carly

Hi everyone

The eggs started hatching last night, so far four completely out of the eggs and there are four heads poking out and four still to hatch and one that died during incubation.

Seeya

Carly

sensational carly sounds like a good chance of getting 95% of the hatchling sure you will pretty excited send pic love to see them and the parents

Thankyou everyone these past seven weeks have been filled with worry and heaps of other emotions but it was all worth while. They are so cute and little. Ill take some pics tomorrow but I still dont know how to post them here so ill just try and put them in the gallery.

Thanks again everyone.

Carly

Awsome, good work. Sounds like everything is goin perfectly. Congrats!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back