Look what I found....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

disasterpiece7.0

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Ahoy,

After an I.D. on this guy we found at cedar creek, just outside of Brisbane. I'm thinking whip snake of some sort, but if it's not a python I got no idea...

Damn I hope these pictures upload properly...

Attachments

• l_3783edcf7a908f7b4c66dc0c1f578e96.jpg
    l_3783edcf7a908f7b4c66dc0c1f578e96.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 205
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    727.9 KB · Views: 178
Awesome, thought it was a little brown when I nearly stepped on it. freaked me out a little. But then I got a better look. Cheers for the help.

Little snake says, "What big eyes you have disasterpiece."
"All the better to see you with." says disasterpiece.

That would be so easy to miss. Good eyes to find such a little critter in grass like that :D

Ahoy there, matey!

As others have said, it's a yellow-faced whipsnake. The key characteristics are the large eyes with yellow surrounds, the gun-metal grey body, and the two copper-coloured lines that run along the front third (approximately) of the body. As with all colour/pattern characteristics, these aren't always all present, but the snake in your pics is a fairly typical specimen of the SE Queensland form.

The microhabitat is also a give-away, as this species is often found in the shadow of a photographer.

Stewart

Last edited:
Ahoy there, matey!

As others have said, it's a yellow-faced whipsnake. The key characteristics are the large eyes with yellow surrounds, the gun-metal grey body, and the two copper-coloured lines that run along the front third (approximately) of the body. As with all colour/pattern characteristics, these aren't always all present, but the snake in your pics is a fairly typical specimen of the SE Queensland form.

The microhabitat is also a give-away, as this species is often found in the shadow of a photographer.

Stewart

Yeah, some years ago my younger cousin got bitten by a snake. He kept telling them it was pink and purple but they kept sayin he'd gone mad. Dad imediately said whip snake or tree snake. My guess would be one of these fellas

Thought it was a shadow snake in the first photo..........;)

haha, yeah. Took another but didn't really turn out cos of the sun, so i got between it and the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back