Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
My wife and I have just returned from a week long trip to Lord Howe Island. Wow, what a place! It is a superb site for those who enjoy cycling, hiking, snorkelling, birding or just want to be awed by natural beauty.

Lord Howe is situated about 700 km northeast of Sydney. It is located between New Caledonia to the northeast, New Zealand to the southeast and Norfolk Island to the east. As a result, the flora and fauna is very interesting and includes a blend of life from these different areas. It seems surprising but the islands were uninhabited when the Europeans arrived in the late 1700s.

There are only a couple of terrestrial herps on the island but this place is so interesting and stunningly beautiful that I decided to prepare a "natural history" report to show some of the amazing sights of the island.

Lord Howe Island once was huge but now, it has nearly been reclaimed by the sea. All that is left is the small island of Lord Howe (11 km long), the adjacent Admiralty islets and about 23 kms to the east, Ball's Pyramid. This is a photo of a drawing of the island at the island's museum:
LordHowe1a.jpg

The main island of Lord Howe is dominated by the cores of an extinct volcano. These cores have formed the mountains known as Mt. Lidgbird (777m) and Mt. Gower (875m).
LordHowe20.jpg

LordHowe2.jpg

This is a shot of Ball's Pyramid (550m) from the western slope of Mt. Lidgbird. Ball's Pyramid is the tallest stack on the planet. It is an ominous looking place but is a refuge to both of Lord Howe's native reptiles.
BallsPyramid2.jpg

Ball's Pyramid is also the site where the huge phasmid known as the "Land Lobster" was rediscovered in 2001. Prior to this, the insect was thought to be extinct as the result of the accidental introduction of Black Rats to Lord Howe in 1918. While I was on the island, I was lucky to meet a former ranger who was on the survey team that found the phasmid. He and others climbed the pyramid at night and found 5 on their first visit. They later returned and collected a few to establish a breeding colony at the nursery on Lord Howe. I cannot imagine climbing on that place especially at night due to the nearly shear slopes and unstable substrate! It is possible to view the captive animals at the nursery but I did not have time so had to settle for photos of specimens from the museum:
phasmid.jpg

About 80% of Lord Howe has been set aside as a permanent preserve. Most of the island is forested.
habitat1.jpg

Lord Howe Island is bathed by the East Australia Current so water temperatures range between 18C in the winter and 25C in the summer. These mild conditions have allowed coral reefs to develop and Lord Howe has the most southerly of all reefs. The reef itself is a mix of both hard and soft corals. It was colourful with many blue, purple and green outcrops. Fish diversity was much greater than I expected and I saw a number of fish that I have not encountered further north at the Great Barrier Reef. Butterfly Fish were particular diverse.
LordHowe4.jpg

Ned's Beach
Ned's Beach was just a 10 minute walk from our accommodation.
LordHowe15.jpg

The fish in this bay are protected and extremely tame. Meter-long Kingfish would swim right up to my feet in the shallows.
fish_king1.jpg

fish_king4_400.jpg
fish_king5_400.jpg

Bluefish are normally grey but they flush this lovely sky blue when excited. This one (left) was definitely excited by bread. The other fish is a Surge Wrasse and was an absolute rainbow of colours.
bluefish1_400.jpg
fish_wrasse2_400.jpg

This morning glory was common on the dunes surrounding the beach. Ipomoea pes-capre (Convolvulaceae):
plant_convolvulus1.jpg

Sallywood (Lagunaria patersonia, Malvaceae) and a fern.
plant_sallywood_400.jpg
plant_fern1_400.jpg

Sacred Kingfisher was a common native of the lowlands.
bird_CollaredKingfisher1.jpg

Ned's Beach is the area where Lord Howe Island Horned Turtle (Meiolania platyceps) fossils are found. These turtles are thought to have become extinct about 40,000 years ago. They were huge and almost the size of the Galapagos Tortoises.
turtle2.jpg

turtle3_400.jpg
turtle4_400.jpg

turtle5.jpg

Offshore Islets

Offshore Islands have provided refuge to a number of animals that have otherwise become rare or extinct on the main island due to Black Rats. I visited one of these to see some of the animals that once lived on Lord Howe.
habitat7a.jpg

Lord Howe Island Gecko (Christinus guentheri): These geckos were numerous on an offshore island. I also saw a single animal near accommodation right on Lord Howe itself. Christinus is a genus of cool-adapted geckos within Australia that are mostly distributed in the southern portion of Australia. It is surprising that this genus of gecko managed to reach the Lord Howe.
gecko3.jpg

These little geckos exhibited an unusual behaviour. They would form a tight coil and place the large toes from one foot over their head and eyes. When coiled like this, they were very inconspicuous when on rocks and leaf litter of the forest floor.
gecko4.jpg

gecko7.jpg

gecko5_400.jpg
gecko6_400.jpg

gecko1_400.jpg
gecko2_400.jpg

gecko8_400.jpg
gecko9_400.jpg

A small red mite lived on the geckos. I wonder if these are harmless to the geckos like the mites that I see on Phyllurus (leaf-tailed) geckos?
gecko10.jpg

Lord Howe Island Skink (Cyclodina lichenigera): I saw three of these skinks. This species is about the size of an Eastern Water Skink and is thought to have reached Lord Howe from New Zealand.
skink5.jpg

skink3.jpg

skink1_400.jpg
skink2_400.jpg

skink6_400.jpg
skink7_400.jpg

Wedge-tailed Shearwaters nested mostly on the offshore islands. They were mostly in their burrows when I visited the islet. They moaned continuously and the sound was quite eerie and almost human-like.
bird_wedgetailed3.jpg

bird_wedgetailed2_400.jpg
bird_wedgetailed1_400.jpg

Lord Howe Island bush cockroach (Panesthia lata) -- common on an offshore island. These roaches are apparently extinct on the main island of Lord Howe due to predation by Black Rats.
arthro_roach2_400.jpg
arthro_roach3_400.jpg

Flat Spider (Hemicloea sp.) and a centipede
arthro_spider2_400.jpg
arthro_centipede1_400.jpg

Brown Noddy

There was a nesting colony of Brown Noddies at the far end of Blinky Beach.
habitat6.jpg

bird_noddy4.jpg

bird_noddy1_400.jpg
bird_noddy2_400.jpg

bird_noddy3_400.jpg
bird_noddy5_400.jpg

Masked Booby

Mutton Bird Point was the nesting site of many pairs of Masked Boobies.
habitat5.jpg

bird_masked4_400.jpg
bird_masked2_400.jpg

bird_masked3_400.jpg
bird_masked5_400.jpg

The natural habitat has been most altered near the south end of the island. This is the area that was initially settled by Europeans in the early 1800s. Here, many of the exotic Norfolk Island Pines were planted and some of these are now huge trees.
LordHowe9a.jpg

These trees are a favourite nesting site of the lovely White Tern. I saw large numbers of these nesting in the trees sometimes within a meter or two of the ground. They don't actually build a nest but lay their egg in a slight depression on a branch. White Terns would attempt to drive away other birds such as Pied Currawongs that flew near their nests.
bird_WhiteTern7.jpg

bird_WhiteTern1_400.jpg
bird_WhiteTern8_400.jpg

bird_WhiteTern9_400.jpg
bird_whitetern10_400.jpg

Emerald Ground Doves were often seen as they walked along the forest floor:
bird_EmeraldDove.jpg

At night, one of the most conspicuous birds was the Flesh-footed Shearwater. These birds nest in burrows and would return at dusk. Once it was dark, they were very noisy. Their call vaguely sounded like "pick me, pick me!". They departed before sunrise to return to feed from the ocean.
bird_Shearwater7.jpg

bird_Shearwater3_400.jpg
bird_Shearwater5_400.jpg

bird_shearwater8_400.jpg
bird_shearwater10_400.jpg

Arthropods and Gastropods of the area included the following:

... a burrowing cricket:
arthro_cricket2_400.jpg
arthro_cricket3_400.jpg

... wasps:
arthro_wasp1_400.jpg
arthro_wasp2_400.jpg

... huntsman (abundant!) and a long-horned borer:
arthro_spider7_400.jpg
arthro_beetle2_400.jpg

... these two large slugs were twisting around each other and slowly dropping to the ground while suspended by a thread of slime:
snail_400.jpg
snail2_400.jpg

Regards,
David

nice find with the guentheri, I have read they are now very rare on the main island due to introduced rats. very nice pics by the way, love reading the threads and looking at the pics.

Awesome shots as always! It's beautiful over there. No pics of Lampropholis?! Did you know that the Lampropholis delicata on the island are invasive there? They appeared in the 1970's and now cover the whole island other than the tops of Litchbrid and Gower. They are proudly Australias only invasive lizard, and the only invasive Aussie reptile other than Boiga.

Where were the Cyclodina? I have done a bit of research on the local herps for the LHI Board.

Your photos are always amazing Moloch. Do you get any of them publlished?
What len's do you use for photographing the birds?
You should have your own photo web site for us to check regularly :)

Great pics, lucky to find C. guentheri on the main island.. Glenn Shea did a talk at the AHS last year on the work he and Hal Cogger did on them... Hal apparently found some eggs and they took some crazy amount of time to hatch... something like 9 months??... the talk was actually extremely interesting..
Your Blue Fish (Girella cyanea) is from the Drummer family like Black Drummer (Girella elevata).... my fisho mates who go over there catching kingies say that apparently the Blue Fish have an hallucinogen in their meat...??...

LHI is in my top 3 "must-go-fishing" places for the future. Especially off the pyramid. It is unique that it has a diverse mix of temperate fish species (kingfish, silver trevally etc), tropical species (coral trout, sweetlips), & even endemic species such as the enigmatic "double header".

Great pics, especially the bird life. Being a keen fisho I also take an interest in wildlife in & around marine environments, so those pics were interesting.

As usuall, fantastic photos Moloch,you visit some top areas and must have a awesome time.Everytime i see a post regarding your name,i no its going to be worthwhile looking...Stunning photos again..10/10 top stuff..MARK

\

The landscape pics are inspiring, as are the wildlife shots, and the text that goes with it well educated. It is this type of thread that raises the standard of this site, thanks moloch05, keep raising the bar

Great pics David, i love Lord Howe Island. The climb to the top of Mt Gower has the most amazing views. Did you get to see any of the Lord Howe Island Wood Hens ? I done so much looking around but cudnt find any of the Gecko's, only 1 dead 1 that had been run over on the road. Wat island to you go to to find them ? I swam out to Blackburn Island a few times but didnt find any. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Thanks so much, everyone, for the kind replies. It is always nice to know that the reports are enjoyed. I certainly have lots of fun on the trips and then preparing these posts to share with like-minded people.

Ryan, I was very surprised to see the gecko near town since I was under the impression that they and the skink were difficult on the main island. There is talk of an attempt to broadcast poison over the entire island to try and kill off all the rats. It would be so good for the native animals if this happens. I saw rats in the woodlands whenever I went out in the evening.

Serpentes, did you spend much time at Lord Howe? If so, you are a lucky one since it is so beautiful. Yes, I saw large numbers of Lampropholis and have a photo in my next post.

Snowman, a few of my pics have been published. A number will also appear in Danny Brown's lizard book that will be out before too long. I use either a Tamron 18x250mm or 90mm macro for my photos.

bongie, I did not fish. I was too busy walking the various trails of the island. I hope to return in a year or two and take along an underwater camera.

Jason, thanks for the info. I did not realize that the Bluefish was one of the drummers. It certainly is a pretty one. Hallucinogen? I wonder if it is a popular fish with the locals?

Tonsky, there certainly is an interesting blend of fish. I saw a big double-headed or hump-headed wrasse in the lagoon. They are odd looking creatures.

Thanks kupper, j.k., gecko-mad, dottyback, Mark, ozziepythons, lilmissraz, redbelly, Dabool and jase.

Regards,
David

Hi David,
I was doing stuff in 2007 with the invasive skinks on the island and their impacts, plus impacts of the planned rodent eradication on the invasive skinks and so on and so forth. I was lucky to be paid to spend time on the island, and work mostly consisted of walking around catching Lampropholis!

There are large numbers of Christinus on the island in places, don't know why, but it may simply be predator refuge from rodents. I was finding dozens in a night in hot spots. The LHI Skink, however, is different, I found none on the main island and a couple offshore. Were your Cyclodina found on the main island?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back