Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic report David and great images. Really appreciate the overall insight and not just the herps.

You certainly get around the place!

Great pics, would really love to visit Lord howe one day, a number of inverts on that island i would love to get my hands on including lord howe phasmids altho i'm expecting some of them to turn up today:)

Awesome pics and thread!!!
Brings back so many memories as I have been to Lord Howe a few times game fishing...unbelievable, I have never have used ALL my strength against a fish before on the mainland like I have at Lord Howe against the massive "greenback kingies" and 50kg+ yellowfin tuna which we sent to Japan and the pain in the butt sharks!!! lol
I went to school with a mate who had to come to the mainland to attend High School as they don't have one on lord Howe, so i had connections...lol Awesome hollow reef breaks as well if your a surfer....
Funny story, I was at Neds Beach feeding the fish by hand, no one around except me and my mate...next minute i see him on shore waving his hands around, didn't take much notice until he came in knee deep and I was in above my head...turned around and he gave me the shark sign..hand above the head like a fin..and there was 3 BIG whaler sharks within meters circling me...needless to say i walked on water to get out as there was a feeding frenzy in the water at the time and I had fish and bread tucked in my boardies..lol

Great place, l plan to go back again soon!

You have no idea how shocked i was when i saw this thread. I trace my ancestry back to the original settlers of Lord Howe Island, if you go to the museum my parents are on the family tree though myself and younger brother are not given they haven't updated it in ages. My grandmother grew up on the island and only left when she got married to one of the men who worked on the flying boat service that traveled to the island. My mother used to spend her summer holidays there.

Love going there, but it is weird when you are related by blood to every full time islander there. The kingfish make a great feed, and i love the snorkeling. Used to love going out into the lagoon and swimming with the sharks and it is the only place i have seen Moray Eels and Lion Fish ( at the same time!).

I had the awesome luck of actually seeing Baby Wood hens when I was there last, we were walking up to the goat house and they just came right out of the undergrowth with their mothers. Still all fluffy and just out of the egg. Wish I had pictures on this computer to post of them! The white turns are also great when you can see their young nesting on the pines, though they are not technically native.

Bit of trivia though; The Mutton Birds are named so because the settlers used to eat them. Apparently they tasted like mutton.

What an awesome place to visit! So much beauty and amazing wildlife to see, those wrasse are just gorgeous :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back