Louis is a bit silly !

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
think about your own diet ,do you eat chicken every meal?my mate had a carpet who lived on rats,my brother had a python he fed on finches, my son has a childrens fed on mice,I try to vary my dragons diet with different stuff as I know that in the wild they eat all sorts of critters.

Quails for all

Definitely something to think about. I think my main issue with quails is if I offer one and he refuses then I have to throw it out, whereas if it were a rat I could offer it to my other snakes, which I've already done.

I feed mine week and week about! There's no need to throw the quails away, I've mixed it up and all of my snakes love quail.... It was great to finally give the Noodles Stimmi and Gorgeous Jungle something different.... Just saying it works for mine.... now as the Didge and Djana BHP's get bigger I'm keeping the different size quails. (I buy in bulk from a breeder makes it a bit cheaper)
BHP's are greedy... it's nothing for them to take two food items at once - when I got mine they were being feed several small mice, but took to the rats quickly and the quails just as quick... There has also been to question posed about feeding BHP's fish (Poddy Mullet)... I've not gone there yet... maybe when they're adults... and these alternative food items are all geared towards lowering their cholesterol levels...lol...

Attachments

• DSCF2393.jpg
    DSCF2393.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF2353.jpg
    DSCF2353.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Gorgeous Quail.jpg
    Gorgeous Quail.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 26
Definitely something to think about. I think my main issue with quails is if I offer one and he refuses then I have to throw it out, whereas if it were a rat I could offer it to my other snakes, which I've already done.

I had a look at Doc Rock's article on keeping Woma's, where he mentions the "Fatty Liver Disease". It seems though that he just warns against overfeeding young snakes :oops:, and that he only feeds medium lean rats now.

If you defrost a quail and it wont eat it, one of your other snakes will? I defrosted a chook chick for my coastal and he didnt want it, so I just gave it to one of the spotteds.... spotteds are like 'mobile garbage cans' ;) If the quail is a bit smaller than what the 'other' snake usually eats, wont matter (unless you are feeding a pinkie to a 3.5m bredli that eats jumbo's:shock:)

Back to the original point.... if you have a cat, a dog and a budgie.... you buy catfood, dogfood and birdseed? You donttry to make them all eat birdseed? If you choose to have 3 different reptiles and one needs rats, one needs mice & one needs veg and crickets..... you provide what they each need? It is just normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back