Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainbow-Serpent

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I have a couple of questions :)

* What is the average price of a Macaw in the US ?
*Is it legal to ship a bird from America, to Australia?
*What is the average shipping price?

I have applied for a Bird license of some sort, and i am positive that it includes macaws.
Instead of paying $7,000 + for one in Australia, I thought it would be cheaper to buy one from America, and get it shipped, but if its illegal i'll forget it.:)

Hi!

I have a couple of questions :)

* What is the average price of a Macaw in the US ?
*Is it legal to ship a bird from America, to Australia?
*What is the average shipping price?

I have applied for a Bird license of some sort, and i am positive that it includes macaws.
Instead of paying $7,000 + for one in Australia, I thought it would be cheaper to buy one from America, and get it shipped, but if its illegal i'll forget it.:)

1) ALOT less.
2) YES.
3) i dunno, its alot less from some places in Africa. ;) lolololol.

What sort of macaw do you want?
Hahns macaws are awesome and dont cost anywhere near as much as a blue & Gold

I hope you plan to take care of it for at least 50 years.

there a couple of hundred dollars in the us. dont think they will import any live birds in to australia since the out-break of bird flu. if you could import a bird im sure it would end up costing you more than a bird bred here in australia. dont know about other states, but in nsw you dont need a licence to keep any of the macaws

Your licence is only valid for native birds such as Rosellas, Black Cockatoos etc.
No licence is needed for exotics in Australia. As for importing you will have to try AQIS http://www.daffa.gov.au/aqis IMO it is not worth it when you look at the risk of death in transit, the costs involved, quaruntine, and the amount of paperwork and fees. No doubt the final result will be a bird costing equal or even more than if you purchased from a local breeder. And I believe it is hard to get approved for importation anyway. JMO

careful if importing birds from anywhere really. best to see it before you buy it as there are stories on the net of purchasers recieving ill treated money munching bird dealers.

you wont get a macaw anywhere but aus
u shouldnt buy from interstate unless u know that its legit and i dont mean just speaking to them on the phone there are way to many parrot scams around someone on gumtree posts them everyday for the blue and golds and african greys and i always reply a post with a scam warning
u can get them for around 4 thousand my friends got there last young male for 3.5 but thats only because they were friends with the breeders
alot of people dont realise the bird can and alot of times they do outlive the owners but ur a youngin so i wouldnt be worried lol
blue and golds need ALOT of time... and i mean alot.... my friends one is gorgeous but they spend all day with it take it to work etc so that he is occupied all the time :)

oh btw just coz its "located in ur state" doesnt mean its safe to transfer the money, best option, cash on pick up or delivery

especially dealing with those sort of dollars

Not to mant people realise just how many macawas are actually being bred her in Australia. Why import something from the states when you can get a locally bred one.

You require a licence for a macaw.

shane13 - The macaw you are talking about is the hyacinth macaw and it is pure dark blue with a yellow highlight on its head. They are a very expensive bird and i have only seen a handful actually here in Australia.

The blue ones that are cheap would be the Blue & Gold variety and they generally go for around the $5 - 6000 mark.

There are also a few other macaws available like the scarlet.

They are like little children and require alot of time and effort but it is all worth it.

a macaw im america is around $1000-$3000 just like an african gray witch is around $6000 here but $1000 in america i did the reserch when i wanted a bird i got an eclectus parrot for $800 its the best $800 iv ever spent my bird is great.
in america you can get a green three python for $1000us witch is bull----
ill try to find the website its got alot of australian reptiles for cheaper then us australians can get them and they sell bearded dragons for more then frill necks

i found a web sit called www.reptilesncritters.com it dosent have gtp or frillys but it has lots of frogs and reptiles from all over the world for cheap as dirt like and emrald tree boa for $400us whitch is basicly a gtp but cheaper in amarica...................we cant buy any but its nice to see how good the americans have it when it comes to reptiles

a macaw im america is around $1000-$3000 just like an african gray witch is around $6000 here but $1000 in america i did the reserch when i wanted a bird i got an eclectus parrot for $800 its the best $800 iv ever spent my bird is great.
in america you can get a green three python for $1000us witch is bull----
ill try to find the website its got alot of australian reptiles for cheaper then us australians can get them and they sell bearded dragons for more then frill necks

i've seen gtp's in the us on youtube from reptile expos as cheap as 5-600

You do not need a license to keep any exotic birds in Australia, a license is only needed for native species. Its not worth even trying to import from overseas as it is extremely difficult and expensive plus the bird has to spend time in quarantine, its difficult enough for zoos to do let alone the public. Buy local and remember that a macaw will live for over 50 years and it is like looking after a 2 year old child for that whole time!

my friend just brought a blue and gold macaw from NSW. and paid $6500. she is stunning too.

you will find if you lok hard enough it is illegal to import birds into Australia since the mid nineties there was a few years in the early nineties that you could and then they stopped it. if it was legal don't you think every one would do it as there are so many birds people would import that we don't have here yet and also to get new blood into the species we have here.

i know this sites for reptiles but what is an umbrella cockatoo iv seen them for sale in america and the uk but not here is it an american name for a pink cockatoo or what cos they go for $10000 and up in america?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back