Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the help guys, ive decided not to go with a Macaw for our first bird, so we went to the petstore hoping to buy a parrot of some sort, but came home with an adorable baby budgie! He is already learning how to say Hello! =)

So you where planning on a macaw (basicaly a top of the range bird and needs alot of exsperiance to keep) and instead you went a budgie, where you ever seriosuly going to get a macaw?

maybe the thread should have been about budgies! I like how it went from a top line bird to a nothing bird!

Hyacinth macaws are actually exceptionally rare and very expensive.

Exactly. The thing about the exotics bird market as well is that more than 75% of ads on websites are fraudulant. They ask for a deposit on an egg, and assure you that by doing so you'll be able to purchase the bird for under a grand. Importing from the US is illegal, but you're better off buying a bird from a national breeder anyway. I've already started a savings account for one ;) I hope to get a Blue and Gold by the time I'm 30.

And budgies are beautiful rs, but most of them are little *insert expletive*'s and are way too hyper for my liking.

my mums friend had the red and green i think and the blue and golds. the reds were only 3g each the golds she picked up for 10g.

I believe a breeder of Black and gold macaws in at the sunshine coast... it will cost u over 7000

Gee, I've never seen so many people who haven't got a clue offering so much advice.... Black & Gold Macaws... Hacintha (???) Macaws being cheap... red & green Macaws cheaper than Blue & Golds... What a huge lot of crappy advice...

Legal imports of macaws and some other species were allowed from the UK (only) in the 1990s, and because the quarantine for birds operated on an 'all in, all out' basis, it was only economical to bring in many birds at once because the facility at Spotswood in Vic was tied up totally until that shipment was cleared (45 days). The three large species allowed in were Scarlets, Greenwings and Blue & Golds. Hyacinths have never been legally imported, although there are a few around, and they are VERY expensive.

The large red Macaws (Greenwing, Scarlet) are currently in very short supply, and often command around $15k each as weaned babies, Blue & Golds are cheaper because they are generally easier to breed. You might get one from around $4k, but high quality birds from legit bloodlines still fetch around $7k. This would include a full vet workup at around $450 including bloodwork. As with anything, you get what you are prepared to pay for. Very cheap birds are often poorly fed during raising, and come from breeding stock which reflects poor nutrition. You could be buying a heap of trouble.

You do not need a licence in NSW for Macaws, but you do in WA. In WA you need an import permit to bring a Macaw into the state, but you don't need an export permit to send one out! Go figure! If you import a Macaw into WA, it must be photographed at the airport before it is released to you, the photos are emailed to DEC to verify that it's not an African Grey in disguise (AGs are illegal in WA), and the Ag Dept officer is advised that your B&G Macaw is actually a B&G Macaw by DEC, and away you go...

What a load of bollocks...

J.

Gee, I've never seen so many people who haven't got a clue offering so much advice.... Black & Gold Macaws... Hacintha (???) Macaws being cheap... red & green Macaws cheaper than Blue & Golds... What a huge lot of crappy advice...

J.

Hahahaha.

What a load of bollocks...

So glad you spoke up, Jamie :lol:

RS - good on you starting small and going from their. Owning a big parrot is a bit like having a 2yo child for the next 50 years or longer. They are demanding, noisy, destructive, they get attached, they get jealous, they throw tantrums. Could you really commit to that sort of behaviour for that long? Budgies are nice, and nowhere near the hassle ;)

Haha... me neither, but it's still useful to pass on valid info... I think...

Kristy_07 is dead right, the large Macaws are definitely NOT pets to consider casually. They are all the Kristy has described and more - like a 2yo with a chainsaw if left unsupervised in your house. They can be intelligent, gorgeous, affectionate and responsive pets, but need an extremely firm hand when raising/training, and you need to understand that they are a 50-70 year commitment. They bond with one person, or with a family, and can suffer a broken heart when moved on after forming such a bond, because they become unsuitable.

I would very rarely suggest that they be kept as single birds, because they are just too demanding. The best approach to Macaw keeping is to keep them as a pair or a group, in a large aviary outside, where they can rely on each other for company, and they can engage with the outside world to reduce boredom (the biggest cause of antisocial behaviour...)

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back