Mad (4400) Hides and other fake rock stuff.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mad_at_arms

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Been giving this DIY stuff a go. I've always been reluctant to shell out cash for something I reckon I could have a fair go at so here it is.
(I plan to update as things roll on - not big on making too many threads)
Any questions pm.

Plant holder
to fit a 12cm potplant I bought two plants today, I figure I can alternate them as they get trashed by lizard traffic
P5250013.jpg

P5250012.jpg

P5250011.jpg

Little bit of heat equals
P5270003.jpg

P5270002.jpg

P5270001.jpg

First coat of flexigrout
P5270010.jpg

P5270009.jpg

Bunnings (Dunlop flexible coloured grout) So far I've done two coats and its doing alright.
Mix it wetter than instructions. I did 150grams grout 90-100ml water it fills tha gaps and crevis's(sic) Might do a coat mixed with pvc glue and see how it goes
I've bought Liquid sandstone for the final coats. I also picked up a grout sealer thats non toxic safe for the environment, etc, blah blah.
I will be testing my final product very well before installment.
Will keep you posted.(see what I did there?)

Last edited:
Looks the goods so far, interested in seeing the finished product. might make my own rock wall hmmmmm

is this stuff expensive to buy, im going to make a trip to bunnings tmw suss it all out ill start off with something small like a hide rock or something cheers for the ideas

liquid sandstone eh??? what's the end result of said liquid? is it like a glue or paint?
is their fumes with it? do you have to seal it after the sandstone stuff?
or is it a sealer type thing? i like the sound of this stuff

Nato

im actually liking the look of it as it is so will be keeping an eye on this with interest

Im interested to see the sandstane liquid to..... Nato there was a thread a few weeks ago in the general section..... somone had used it for a wall, i'll see if i can find it for you. Im interested to know the price and how far it goes, also does it also need waterproofing?

BTW great hide, something like that will work to hide the access whole to the bottom of the enclosure, so thanks for the idea.

liquid sandstone eh??? what's the end result of said liquid? is it like a glue or paint?
is their fumes with it? do you have to seal it after the sandstone stuff?
or is it a sealer type thing? i like the sound of this stuff

Nato
Liquid Sandstone will be the finishing coats, its waterbased Non Toxic UV resistant and about $27 a Litre (there is another thread on here where some one used it.)

i have been using liquid sandstone for a few years. i finish the project with some spray paint on top.

Ready for finishing coats of Liquid sandstone.
P5290032.jpg

P5290031-1.jpg

P5290030.jpg

I did about 7-8 coats of grout all up. I mixed PVA glue in the later coats. Before applying each new coat I used a large soft brush to remove any loose grout. I found after using the PVA glue there was less loose grout to brush off.

Ok so I've finished the plant holder. The Liquid sandstone wasn't as easy to work with as the grout. Using a wet brush or sponge helps to spread it out.
I did two coats of the sandstone then added the green paint for a thin coat on the areas as seen and another straight coat on selected areas.
The inside just got a couple of coats of grout sealer (non toxic environmently friendly) and two of mod podge. I also tinted the second coat with some grey. I want the pot to be interchangable so I silasticed another pot of the same size in to collect any excess water and allow removal of plant.
P5300001.jpg

P5300002.jpg

P53000032.jpg

P6030003a.jpg

P6030002a.jpg

Pretty happy with my first finished attempt.
I still have a hide that I started first and are finishing off at the moment
here's a sneak peek:-
P5300008.jpg

Bonus frog ledge I whipped up whilst wait for things to dry.
Thin layer of silastic to seal it.
P6030005a.jpg

you will note the different colour on the lefthand. Doh! (Dont forget to measure your enclosure and allow for growth in size as you layer grout.)
P6030006a.jpg

Get motivated people!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Bluey!
I just picked up a 4ft enclosure on wednesdaythats pretty much bare, so my creative mind is in overdrive right now.

wow! they look great! I love the idea of liquid sandstone :D
you're quite the rock moulder lol. thanks for keeping us updated! your animals should love them!

I am intrigued by the idea of the liquid sandstone... Is it rough to the touch? Will that make cleaning up poo spray difficult?

I just did a google search on liquid sandstone, it's freaking awesome. How heavy does it make things? It's flexable, so it won't crack, which is perfect. It looks, fantastic, comes in 3 different shades and has got so many different uses! I want some right now!

Last edited:
Yes I used it for my latest rock wall and it's great. It will be hard to clean though so I'm going to make sure I seal it very well. Here's how it's looking at the moment. I'll be finished next weekend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307265921.096847.jpg

Rondo, is it heavy? I currently use cement, and it makes the background HEAVY! How does the liquid sandstone compare do you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back