Mad (4400) Hides and other fake rock stuff.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is heavy but since it is stronger than cement, you don't need to use as much. That wall is fiberglass so I don't need to put more than 1 coat. The 1L tubs probably weigh around 2kg and I would have used just over half the tub for that wall.

How did you go with the fiberglass wall? I'm looking at doing a wall using polyester resin, and then coating it in liquid sandstone.

Yes that would work well, I used builders bog (polyester resin) to do a lot of filling for my wall in the pic. The liquid sandstone adheres to it no problem. I think fiberglass would be easier to work with on a large rock wall but polyester resin would work fine

Have you thought of using epoxy resin mixed with sand over a foam mould?

I'm only just starting to explore the wonderful world of resins and liquid stone. I want to do a whole heap of research into it before I start to actually do anything with it

I finished my hide yesterday:) I used a 10L oil bottle from work(new and clean!) as the shell. Cut one side of the bottle and some entrances into it, built around it with foam and expander foam. Numerous coats of Flexigrout and then finished with liquid sandstone.
P5270007.jpg

I used some masking tape to hold bits and to control the expander foam until it set. Make sure you remove it after the foam has set. I had it lifting and coming loose whilst grouting.
P52700052.jpg

P52700112.jpg

My dog Bronson supervises:lol:
P6140007.jpg

A piece of slate to bask on and a tree stump for aesthetics.
P6140004.jpg

Cant wait to put it in the enclosure and watch it be ignored!!:rolleyes:

Heres a few progress pics of one of the rock features I did for the enclosure.
From this add expanda foam and grout
P6190023.jpg

To this I then add colour
P7060007.jpg

then this gets toned right down
P7100003.jpg

to finally create this
P7150017.jpg

:D

superb as always Mad ! your posts are always an inspiration to all to give it a go. Its great to see so many members rolling up their sleeves and giving it a go because they've seen how to do it.

Thanks Jax, I've taking a lot of my inspiration and more importantly motivation from DIY threads on here. Your posts (as well as others) have helped guide my progress. And Treg most certainly upped the bar, when it comes to painting.

let's hope Treg doesn't mind a bit of friendly competition. I've just started repainting mine, I took it one stage too far and FUBAR ! back to the start again. It was 2c out in the shed last night but I'm determine to have the base colour dry so I can spend most if the weekend drybrushing. It's turning into a ' ground hog day' project LOL

How are you mountingn the Frrog ledge.

I have done corner units for my dragons which were self supporting, but am looking at a wall feature for my nakes. Needs to be removable for cleaning.

Cheers

haha "groundhog day" :-don't going punching no Neds!! Least with painting if you stuff it up (and its only really in your own eyes) you can just go over the top of it.
I could have gone on for days with highlights and detail, I just had to say enough is enough!!
Been on a major high since completion. Which just fuels the DIY addiction.

lol Jax im doing the same thing.... repainting this weekend lol..... i have been working on a small wall for my little 30x42h glass tank that my sons bredli juvi is in, but used to much black paint in the ink wash and it all went up the creek lol

mad your painting is great

Thanks 1woma.

Thanks 1woma.

Heres a few progress pics of the large basking ledge
I made it in two pieces and the front comes off, so I can get into clean

P6190021.jpg

P7040003.jpg

P7040006.jpg

P7160024.jpg

P7160023.jpg

I used some green glow in the dark safety paint on some areas. After coating with pondtite it doesn't glow as strong or as long. Still glows for about 25-30mins after the light go out.
Haven't got any goods pics of it glowing, I'll need to set the tripod up for that.

How are you mountingn the Frrog ledge.

I have done corner units for my dragons which were self supporting, but am looking at a wall feature for my nakes. Needs to be removable for cleaning.

Cheers

I used glass and window silicone. I was looking at using velcro to fix one of my rocks. But I ended up making it lock snug into another piece.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I am working on a fake hollow tree root and branch at the moment, I'll get a snap of it today.

Ive gone beyond amazement and being all proud of you Mad to just plain JEALOUS! I thought I had a good thing going with my setup, now I'm going to have to go through all your DIY threads and <copy> <paste> your ideas into my head :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back