Making APS Friendlier

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Administrator

I am going to try and slim down the site a little. Is there any sections you think are unnccessary on the site or anything that may be difficult to use for newbies. Any suggestions would be great.

Here are some suggestions:

- Remove Calendar [Done]
- Remove Chat
- Cut down on Classified Categories [New Classifieds]
- Remove downloads

Please leave a comment if you oppose them.

maybe you could archive feature articles after a few weeks? encourage new articles to be posted. ??? just a thought :D

Maybe the exotics/other reptiles could go? It has slowed down a lot since the introduction of General Herps which I think covers all other non categorised posts.

Maybe you should give away some GTP's now and again? This would make me much more friendly :) LOL

ip bans for troublemakers maybe, im sick of filtering thru threads to find which post are arguments and which arent

a post limit per day could fix up spammers, a few people post alot about relatively nothing

post limit per day prolly wouldnt work tho, too many flaws... i just dont think almost 10 posts per day over an extended period of time isnt necessary for any1, esp on forums here that r pretty low in taffic

the search goes haywire when i try looking something up

maybe if the 'whos online' was removed, perhaps there'd be less chance of any confrontations in the forums?

recon new member should have to wait 24 hours before being able to post so new accounts arent created during arguments to stir things up

sorry if it was off topic i just think its a part of the site that needs improvement, i know it cant be perfect

i really find it hard to believe that people r having arguments on a reptile forum

i know its not slimming down the site ........
but how about adding an ignore option?

I think the site has matured well and there's not much that I can see in need of a change. It does get a bit boring when you read posts from people that just want to post useles comments. But I guess we all learn to ignore the dross.

G 8)

I think I just posted a Dross post myself.

My GOT people this is one of the most important topic we have in forum for ages and you can't stay on track.
Junior started this to be able improve technically site mechanics when he will have time in holidays.. I have more thing to do than deleting unrelated posts. If you have nothing constructive to say please do not post here.
How some people managed to start fights and whinging in this thread is incredible. Junior is not able to improve peoples behaivours or fix they brains, so stop this silly comments right now.

All my posts have been within the original heading of this thread and that is "Making APS friendlier". I thought I was well within reason voicing my thoughts as to what would make this a friendlier site. It wasn't my fault other people took it off on a tangent.
If you think my thoughts were that unreasonable then that's sad, all I was doing was pointing out what many (and I do know that many) have been feeling for a long time.

My suggestions:

Remove General Herps as Exotics etc is a better thread heading
Remove calender
Chat isn't supported any more is it? so ditch that
Remove downloads as people can get the stuff from other places
Remove kids as there are really not enough to justify the category if you are thinking of slimming down the site (they can post in one of the other categories)

Thats just my 2 cents worth

Cheers Hawkeye

Thanks Hawkeye. That is what we are after. Sugestion how to slim the site so is more friendlier to use. Looks like most people understand. Please feel welcome to give us guide what do you wish us to do.

While the title of the post may have been "Making APS Friendlier" if you went into the body of the message you would have clearly seen that we are looking for things that would make the site friendlier of new members to USE. We cannot control who uses our site, it is a free world and people have the right to express opinions (to a certain extent). We are only interested in things admins can easily change to help bring APS into a new and more exciting era of herpsites :)

Thought you meant to take up less space or something! maybe make album navigation/use a little simpler? have noticed few newbies all asking "how to" before today, also things like signatures , maybe auto resize to fit site specs for jpeg/still image types?

What about an icon on each members posts that links to there gallery?Like you have for there profile,pm,webpage etc...

What about deleting accounts after they have been unactive for a certain amount of time? Some people make up an account to simply access all areas after which, they leave. Or they forget they even have an account or whatever.

And what about archiving the forums after so long aswell?

Thats my thoughts anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back