Male BlackHeaded Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkJD

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

New to the website. Iv had my BHP since June 2010. Originally from Paul Harris stock. He has been a joy to own. Eats like a machine and has the most gentle docile nature (except when feeding of course)

From reading through some of the threads on the forums there seems to be alot of distinction between different BHP's from different regions etc. If anyone can tell me anything from the pictures about him that would be great and i would apperciate the info.

I have also read that brown patches on the underside of the chin or on the head can be a sign of a Hypo. My male has a brown patch on his chin, is this the case or just that i have read the wrong information.

Here are some pictures below, first from when i first got him. He had some dried skin patch on his nose that later came off after two baths. People that had seen him before says he has grown alot but i dont really notice it. I have two females coming to me in the next two weeks. I cannot wait.

June 2010

bhp6.jpg

bhp3.jpg

bhp5.jpg

More Recent Photos

bhp3.jpg

bhp1.jpg

bhpcu2.jpg

bhpcu3.jpg

bhp7.jpg

bhp2.jpg

bhpcu4.jpg

Im not sure what most people keep their BHP's on, probably newspaper but i have found this guy loves to burrow. I was originally use bark chips but found that rather rough and he was getting some nose rub. I find the aspen is great, he can burrow for hours at night and each day i often come home to see new tunnels made etc so for now i find that the best. Any suggestions / feedback on this would be welcomed.

Thanks for looking.

Great photos with a stunning snake to match..Yes they do love to burrow,especially when you clean the cages out,within 5minutes all ur hard work is destroyed again..I love BHPs such great looking snakes...eat like pigs...hiss and tail wag...and sometimes lunge out there cage to get you...Gotta love the Aspidities....

That's a great looking snake you have there! I'd love one of those one day, but probably not for a while. Thanks for all the pics :)

Thanks for the comments guys!

@pythons73 - Exactly he is always at it but i guess thats the fun of it. Especially when i clean him out and add in some new subsrtate or refresh the aspen within an hour it will all be a mess again. I find him lately though to have taken an interest in the sliding glass where it overlaps. He seems to think he can get out so i need to keep an eye on it to make sure he doesnt hurt himself. Iv never really had any of the tail whipping or lunges. Iv had hime startle me before with a quick turn towards me but that was it. He has very little attitude and is very placid.

Have you been keeping them long? Any breeding plans? I would love to get an Axanthic or even a het Axanthic but the prices on them are still rediculous.

Thanks Tahlia :)

Hi Tahlia,ive keeped a few over the years,wish i got some along time ago..I love Aspidities alot better then Morelia(except Chondros)they are truely a magnificent python to keep,same applies to Womas.They have attidute which i love in snakes,hate the boring ones that dont keep you on ur toes..Yes i do have breeding plans in the future.Axanthics are a STUNNING looking python.Here in Aus theres some of the best BHP breeders,the ones being produced are simply EYE CATCHER...What is the price for axanthics over there in Ireland...

Well they are just not available. I dont think you could even source a normal BHP over here at present, Has to be done through the UK or mainland europe. Paul Harris from UK Pythons hasnt had any babies even normals available on his website for some time now and hasnt responded to calls or emails.

I got a price of €3000 for a pair of 2011 100% het axanthics which is madness.? converts to about $4000 AUD What about for you guys? How much would an axanthic be or het axanthics?

I guess the albinos are still extremely rare at the moment?

best snakes i have a 3 year old which i keep in bark she has dry nose and her back is dry aswell is this due to digging and burrwing she does it alot ?? should i change to aspen please get back to me

Thats a cracking BHP you got there bud. Love em. Thinking one would look pretty sweet in the new big empty enclosure sitting on my loungeroom floor.

Nice BHP. Very nice yellow. Hey B.H.python, I bought a cheap paper shredder originally to make bedding in the rat racks but i use the shredded paper in my BHP enclosure. It's cheap because the newspapers are given to me free and he seems to love it and keeps he keeps himself busy making tunnels. I have heard bark is a bit rough on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back