Marbled gecko's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnimalCollector6

Reaction score
G'day, you guys have probably had a million posts like this, but...

I recently bought two marbled gecko's (supposedly male and female) and wanted to make sure they ARE male and female, if anyone has any easy solution to my problem it would be much appreciated! If anyone knows any points to help encourage breeding, that would also be appreciated!

Cheers,

Scott.

Hi AnimalCollector6,
How old are they? The easiest way to sex them is to look at their underside; males will have a noticeable bulge at the base of their tail, females shouldn't. As far as I am aware, the geckos only eat insects - moths and crickets are always a favourite and I haven't had any success with woodies. You will probably find that they don't like being held or handled so you can try and look at them when they are on a branch or something in their enclosure - if you have a glass enclosure, or one with a glass side, wait until they are on it and that's probably the best view you're going to get without stressing them. Geckos unlimited is a really good website with lots of helpful information on it. Best of luck :) They're awesome little geckos!

They love sweet fruit - sometimes I give mine watermelon, apricot etc.

to tell you the truth i wouldnt bother with fruit and such stick to insects if you really want to treat them get some wax worms and feed them every once in a while or after a clutch

...and remember when it comes to breeding age females, as they are Gekkonines, they have huge requirements for calcium so ensure they are given optimal levels of both calcium and multivitamin by dusting the insects. You will notice the development of rather large pale pouches on either side of the female's throat, these store calcium for use during ovulation and egg production.

...and remember when it comes to breeding age females, as they are Gekkonines, they have huge requirements for calcium so ensure they are given optimal levels of both calcium and multivitamin by dusting the insects. You will notice the development of rather large pale pouches on either side of the female's throat, these store calcium for use during ovulation and egg production.
Hey, I just thought Id post a pic of a Dtella to show what Rocket was describing, note the bulges on either side of the neck.

Thanks Rocket, thats some useful info. the only trouble is, i don't know the female from the male (if they are ACTUALLY different sex) i checked multiple times but nothing too distinguishable.

If you can get in focus photos of the vent region of your animals, we may be able to sex them based on the photos.

If not, breeding age males, from what i've noticed, tend not to have as prominent bulges (incomparison to the males of some other species) and even some females tend to have some swelling which can make sexing difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back