Marbled Velvet Not Feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonfox

Reaction score
Hi all,

We've got a pair of marbled velvet gecko's at home, and I'm a ltitle concerned about the female. While the male is a voracious eater, the female rarely eats anything - at least that I've seen. She doesn't chase the crickets provided or display any interest in them at all - they crawl over her and she won't touch them.

At the moment, they are eating small to medium crickets. The temps in their tank are fine, as is humidity. There are plenty of hides (which she frequently uses) and they're in a natural sort of setup. So I'm clueless :?.

She isn't desperately underweight, but she looks like she needs a bit more meat on her. How can I prompt feeding? Would seperating them during feeding help? What other foods can we try?

Also, they both shed pretty much weekly - is that normal? Compared to Aspin's (my Stimmie) shed schedule, it seems a little extreme!

Thanks for any help!

Yes, separating would be a good idea. Eliminate that as a variable and see if she'll eat away from the male- which would mean he's dominating her. I've heard a couple of times that people have used woodies to encourage weak eaters.

Also, I don't own geckoes, but basing your geckoes shed cycle on your snake doesn't sound right. They're two different animals with different needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back