Marine Carpet smells.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
O.K I like this marine carpet but how do I get rid of the urine smell? I have tried just hosing so far as some of them are too big to fit in laundry sink.Help me please my house stinks!! :oops:

I only have doubles for my small tanks. All my BIG cages are pretty big and I didn't have enough carpet to do that unfortunately.

Chuck it out and use another substrate, you'll never be able to fully get the smell out of it, you will have to replace it eventually. There are alot better substrates avalible, you can't beat BC or good old newspaper imo.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm BUGGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used to love newspaper but looks like poo! Maybe newspaper under marine carpet??? I am using napisan liquid and folding carpet into laundry sink and scrubbing a bit at a time then rinse then hang up,just got the first bit of the line and it smells like carpet.I think if there is a substate to soak up the urine it might work. I'll let you know how I go.

I use MC with newspaper underneath When it does get wet or smelly soak it in the laundry or bath tub with hot water and a little soap for about an hour. That's what I do with a little bit of a scrub before I take it out and it is fine

No it soaks straight through matey.You have to clean the bottom of the cage with snake'o'clean aka Pine'o'clean.LOL

What you guys waffling about? I use marine carpet and have never had a smell problem, the key is in washintg it properly when it gets soiled. I scrub mine with Repti-Kleen in the water and never have a problem :)

The rubber backed one does smell though and the backing breaks up when you wash it so don't use this one. In my opinion the only one to use is the green, non-backed one.

That is the one I have africa...... but I am not waffling I was just asking how to get rid of the smell mate.

You don't smell Adam, just waffle :) hehehe, sorry mate I just couldn't resist that one :)
As for the smelly carpet you should find it doesn't smell if you just add a bit of disinfectant to the water you wash it in. At least this works for me. Hope this helps mate?

Yep a cap of napisan in the laundry sink with water as hot as you can handle and a scrubbing brush worked just fine. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back