Melanistic carpet pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morelia_Hunter

Reaction score
Just wanted to know if anyone out there has these? I know John Weigel has them. For those of you who dont know. This is the opposite of the Hypomelanistic condition. These snakes are jet black and has a white stomach. I prefer them over hypos.

hyper melanism is MORE black, not completely black.

are you sure you're not thinking of a boelens? i dont know if they have them at ARP.

I think there's a boelens at the reptile park. But I'm quite sure it's not on display, atleast I've never seen it on display.
I have no idea about the carpets.

With all the other carpet morphs overseas does anyone know if any of these have been bred at all?

Snakes NT had a hypermelanistic Darwin python on their front page.

I have seen a couple of wild ones, Inkydink has a photo of one i think.

re Melanistic

Reall diamonds are melanistic carpets and they produce an odd hypo in the wild, while the northern form mcdoweli produces more hypos but i doubt a specimen could be found as melanistic as a true s spilota. :D

Melanistic. Not Hypermelanistic. Melanistic is an irregular black appearance. Its not a Boelens as I have kept Boelens before. I have seen a picture also of snakes NT. It is also in the Geordie torr book on Pythons.

There is a pocket of melanistic Inland carpets in Qld, they over lap two properties just out of _ _ _ _ _ ssshhhhhhhh that part Im sworn to secrecy. These aninals are completely black dorsally and white with black grey flecking ventrally. Awsome.
Rob

youre right MH it is melanism.

the only aussie snake i've seen this in has been taipans. take a look at the black one on pails' site.

i;ll ask a few of the ARP volleys and get back to you on the species... it's morelia yeah?

Yes. Sick of these so called hypos. In my opinion nothing but a light coloured carpet. The Albinos interest me more. Lots of potential there.

Just use your imagination. Albino snake crossed with a pitch black snake??? Very nice. To breed good snakes you just have to use what you have available!!! You dont have to make any crosses sometimes.

It is also in the Geordie torr book on Pythons.

? What page i couldn't be botherd getting books out but don't recall any carpets such as you describe in Geordi Torrs book?

I cant remember where i saw it. It is in the next reptiles australia magazine though. It is definately in one of the local books. There is a shot of a juvenile in this book, and then the same one grown up in the magazine. Looks like a boelens python.

I think you're talking about a water python not carpet in Geordie Torrs book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back