Membership Fee

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could always use my idea Belinda and put it in the 'donation box' :) if you are really keen on helping out ARP :)

I don't have a problem with the membership fee but I wonder how many potential 'good' members would be put off by the idea. I think it's important to build the membership.

If we are really just trying to stop the idiots from joining in then a valid email address (not hotmail) would probably be enough. The membership fee would probably stop people having multiple identities.

If we want to raise money for the ARP then we should just have a collection for that purpose, which I also would be happy with.

I'm happy with whatever is deemed appropriate.

G 8)

Excellent idea Slatey and Slatey J. Count me in!
Why not give NEW MEMBERS only a one month free period for them to see what we are all about?

I am not so sure whether this would be of benefit.

The problems we have had recently are nothing to do with "deadwood" but people who joined and contributed but had their own agenda. Conversely if you place any barrier (and yes $5 is a barrier) you just deter people from joining from the outset and they go to other sites.

Its just a people psychology thing. :(

I think that a better idea would be to have graded memberships and as you proved yourself then you got bigger and better benefits (maybe only post in one area initially and watch other areas and then as you behave in Juvie Hall you get posting rights in the other areas.

Anyway if the majority thinks that the $5 is the way to go then I am ok with that but I would like to see it put into the site itself to pay for the running of the server or something and then the members get a banner ad :lol: :lol:

Cheers Hawkeye

Trolls and Deadwood eh?
I'm missing something here I think.Anyone care to explain?If Deadwood are members that haven't visited or contributed for a while then an email to them to become active again or have their account deleted might be the way to go.
As far as trolls go,haven't we got moderators to keep them in check?
I'm very confuzzled by all of this.

cheers M......

Hmm, I have no objection to the fee, but locking people out or trial memberships leave a bad taste in my mouth. $5 is nothing but people still object. I would rather have the odd fund raser of if someone has logged up XXX amount of usage a polite request to donate may be better.

I have not logged in for a while and would probably feel put off if I suddenly received an e-mail requesting cash for usage.

But, if communicated correctly a $5 membership fee is more than reasonable for such an awsome site especially as it is going to a good cause.

Edan

Edan we just discussing this option for security reason. We really do not need the money.
anybody would be able to visit our site, but just members can contribute to the forum. This way if we get some difficulty and have to ban some hooligans they have to pay $5 every time they will sign in under different nickname. This option will keep the bad apple out otherwise he have to pay $5 every time he is baned.
But i personally think that we don't have to do this and our community will remain free of charge in the future.

I would like to put my hand up at this point.
As security seems to be the main issue and not the actual money side of it, I have a suggestion.
At present, when someone joins up they are sent a password to the supplied email address. As most of you will know, I work for Australia Post. My suggestion is that when someone signs up as a new member that they supply an address (not a po box either).
SJ/Slateman could then pass the address on to me with a password for the new member. I could send the password to the member by registered mail (it costs me nothing to do this).
This is just a suggestion but it would eliminate multiple accounts and it would verify that new members are really new members.I have a work email address so I could process new members on the same day that they join up.
Slateman/SJ if you do not like this idea I will not be offended. I am just trying to help our community.

I love it Grebo. Money are not isue at all.
As you all know we have many young members and unexperience new herpers and i would like to protect them from abuse. Most of our old experiance members know how to deal with that and do not answer silly questions if they don't feel like it, or if somebody make mistake or have wrong opinion, they correct it with diplomacy.They know it is not important to score points.
Sometimes we get here in forum i know everything person, who like to show of and bad atmosfere is spoiling our fun. '' Remember Almaron and Sheena"
So if Adam and Almaron can make it happen, I think we all be gratefull.

No speling attached to forum yet i hope that my mesage will be understand.

No offence intended here Greebs and I'm not questioning your integrity but I don't like the idea of having to give my address to someone I don't know. The owners of the site maybe, but for them to have to pass it on to a third party is not a good idea. I think a lot of people would agree with this. As i said,this isn't a personal sleight against you,I'd think the same thing if it was any other person as well.

That's a very generous offer, Greebs, especially when you consider the number of members and the amount of time involved! :shock: How would Aussie Post respond if they found out?

However, I think there would be too many people who would feel the same as Gregory. Obviously, I would trust you guys now, but as a newbie, not knowing anyone, I'd probably not be willing to risk it either. Unfortunately, trust isn't an automatic thing these days, more's the pity.

Also, what about overseas members?

Just a thought, but wouldn't it be much easier to just have new members unable to post 'till they are verified by admin? Since there are only a few problem disgruntled ex-members, just log all new members IP address, then compare against a banned list. For that matter, I'm pretty sure that Postnuke has a function that lets the admin set up a banned IP list anyway. You can even set up a range of IP's that are banned in case problem users ISP assigns dynamic IPs. Pretty sure you can do this in Apache on Linux too. Short of switching internet providers every day, problem members soon run out of easy ways to access site. Maybe takes a little more patience and effort for admins, but better than inconviencing whole comminity over one or two bad apples.

Not having a go at you Greebo but there is no way I would be giving out my address to anyone I have never even met.
I am still waiting to find out what problem these "trolls and deadwood " are actually causing.

cheers M........

Blocking an IP range could be just as inconveniencing to members has having to set up some sort of formal registration process - for instance a lot of members use iPrimus or OptusNet, what would happen if we had to ban an entire POP's IP range for one of these ISPs, lots of guests and members would be disconnected from the site!

I am not offended by ppls concerns. I deal with the paranoid public on a daily basis.
When I was employed by Australia Post, a police check was done on me and I signed a legally binding contract which prevents me from revealing private information.
The system I was suggesting would involve SJ emailing me the address and password of a new member. I would simply print out the email and send it registered mail to the new member. Of course I would see ppl's passwords but everyone changes them when they set up their profile, don't they?
I usually keep an eye on the newest member list. On average I would say there are half a dozen new members a week. I don't think I would be over committing myself to a huge work load.
I think everyone would agree that the site needs to be more secure.
the question is: Which would deter ppl more? An up front fee? Or getting a registered letter?
Once again I am not offended. I find it rather funny that ppl would be concerned about giving their address to Australia Post. How do you think we deliver your mail ppl? We know where you live. Unless you are a very friendly person, lots of strangers already know your address.We know who gets dirty movies in the mail.(But I am not allowed to tell you who they are).
It is merely a suggestion and I will not be offended if it is not a popular one. If ppl are concerned about the good of our community, I don't understand this need to feel anonymous.

Don't worry africa, I know EXACTLY where the missing ones went :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back