Membership Fee

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to follow on from Fang's query. What is considered "Deadwood"? I haven't got as much time to come on here as I used to (more importantly, as much as I'd like to) and don't post as often. Will this mean my account will (perhaps in the future) be considered not used and deleted or something? :?

Oh, but I'm all for doing whatever the majority vote is to up the security on the site. :)

Vat69 said:
I'd like to follow on from Fang's query. What is considered "Deadwood"? I haven't got as much time to come on here as I used to (more importantly, as much as I'd like to) and don't post as often. Will this mean my account will (perhaps in the future) be considered not used and deleted or something? :?

Oh, but I'm all for doing whatever the majority vote is to up the security on the site. :)
Yeah what Vat69 said :?

There are over 700 registered members.
So far only 44 ppl have answered the age poll.
That would seem to indicate that there is a lot of "deadwood" here.
I think if an account has been inactive for a certain period of time it should be deleted.How long though? Six months maybe?
(More work for SJ) :mrgreen:

I have another idea which will probably be unpopular.
I think the members that use the site should pay for it.
For every 100 posts (new ones..not past ones) members should donate $5 to ARP.This may also encourage ppl to put a little more thought into posts instead of treating the forums like a chat room

GREEBS......... I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I'M HEARING FROM YOU !!!!!
Just kidding, 2 very good ideas from one person with too much spare time at work...(that's you mate) But seriously, great ideas. Paying WILL discourage some members and guests and will force them to go to many other sites on the net (remember this place was made due to the lack of good Aussie sites) but then again, you can never keep veryone happy, I for one would be happy to do either. The "newbie" status to be lifted after a given period of time would work well with either scheme

Ben
(Last name withheld to keep the Greebs of the world away)
:)

i think that would make the forums heaps less active. I think this is what attracts people here and also the community feel. I think alot of people would still come here if we were talking about koalas or the stockmarket because of the community feel. I hope you can unterstand what i mean.

do you unterstand what i was trying to say though. I think it is the community aspect that makes this site so successful

Greebo said:
There are over 700 registered members.
So far only 44 ppl have answered the age poll.
That would seem to indicate that there is a lot of "deadwood" here.
I think if an account has been inactive for a certain period of time it should be deleted.How long though? Six months maybe?
(More work for SJ) :mrgreen:

I have another idea which will probably be unpopular.
I think the members that use the site should pay for it.
For every 100 posts (new ones..not past ones) members should donate $5 to ARP.This may also encourage ppl to put a little more thought into posts instead of treating the forums like a chat room

When I joined the APS it was good I don?t post anymore mainly because there is too much **** in the forums now.

I read what I want to read if I get penalised for not posting all the time or posting when I want to post I think its bull ****.

Sorry to sound a bit harsh but the day you have to pay for APS is the day it will die.

I am an Admin for SGL (Sydney Gamers League) we have a forum that is not viewable to the public unless you join the forum, we have found this keeps a lot of deadwood out.

If you start charging people they will just move onto another site like the site pythonss has and it has a forum that is free.

Just my 2 cents.

2 more cents from me.

I think a site that was easy going and fun to be involved with. Now it sounds like its getting complicated just because a few dickheads don't behave or have personality clashes with other members.

No way would I be letting second and third and who knows however many other parties know where I live, there are several members that do know and I trust them but look at what happened to Slatey with Georgina.

If we're going to pay for our posts or be required to give out addresses then I'm off.

G 8)

Exactly graham,
It has nothing to do about being paranoid but more to do with common sense.Some members here know where I live also but that is my choice to let them know in the first place.
Greebs once again not having a go at you personally but you say you work for Australia post.I say so what,you can say anything you like,who would really know if that were true?.I have worked for Telstra (back in the days of Telecom) and also Qantas and have had to undergo background checks at both places.Again I say so what.Would you give me your address now?
If this has come about because of some stirrers trying to get attention then why respond to them in the first place?After all they will soon get bored and either stop or move on.
Moderators have the ability to delete and I would assume lock any threads that went too far so why not use that?Jan and Jnr have the abilty to ban.
Greebs you say that there are 700 members here yet only 44 ppl have responded to the age poll.Again I say so what,why should anyone be compelled to answer any and all threads and polls?
Dont forget although this site is owned and operated like I business it wouldnt be anything but for the members who contribute time and knowledge to help anyone who asks for it.

I think the initial "trial period" for newby members is a great idea. You give them acess to all forums to read but they can't post in main forums (only a newby forum which members of the site can also post in IF they need help or questions answered) until they have been here and proven they are sensible and have the communities interests at heart. IF after the initial trial period they prove themselves, then they are able to post in general forums and IF they then prove they can't be trusted or they aren't following forum rules, they are banned. A trouble maker isn't going to want to go through the initial waiting period everytime they get a new nickname, only for the sole purpose of starting trouble and inevitably being banned from the site again just to have to start the whole process over. Just MHO

I say leave it as is. Although I initially suggested getting rid of the deadwood I think things should stay as they are. There's only really been this one major hiccup and I realise that SJ has had to do a lot of work and still has to do work to reorganise the site but I reckon it should be left as is. It's why we all joined in the first place. So there's 700 or so members but in reality I bet there would be less than half that amount access the site on any sort of regular basis. How many of you have signed up for a site only to view it once or twice and never go back again? I have done it plenty of times. I reckon when you're on a good thing,stick to it. 8)

fees

just my thoughts..

having a newbies forum that they are limated to wouldnt be great..segragation is the last thing a web comunity needs. newbies join sites for advice, matship and in some cases to be able to talk to people they know are in the comunity if they cant do the above things i doubt weather they will have the interest to stay.

As for giving out your address thats never going to work..i for one would never do it for a multipul of reasons.

lets face it not every member is going to post on every topic/pole. i havent posted on a number of topics and or poles either because i felt that there wasnt much more i could add or for the simple fact that it held no interest. just because people arnt posting in the forum dosent mean that they are dead wood. some join a comunity for knoledge and reserch so they come and observe and thats there thing. to actually label these people as dead wood is rather ugly and i find that style of labeling a bit ofensive as have others that are trying to get clarfication on the label.

as slatman has said its not a money thing so i feel that trying to have a control medium by a manditory fee would infact have a detramentle effect on the site itself.
a fee wont stop sombody making a **** of them selves anyway. most of the time these people have been established members that for what ever reason have got the ****s so decide to stir the pot untill they are asked to leave or isnt any fun anymore.
Isnt the whole reason of moderator/admin being here to control problems as they arise ? If they dont feel they can do that ( as i did ) maybe they are not the best person for the job. no insult inteneded to any of the people that are doing this for the site.
one last thing..IF ITS NOT BROKEN DONT FIX IT.. IMO.
cheers paul.

I am lisning and learning. At the moment i like the idea to leave things as they are and if we have any more serious troubles we have to act then. Junior have

Just thought I'd add my opinion - I don't post here very often, but I do really enjoy coming here and reading the posts and making the odd comment once in a while. If there was going to be a membership fee I'd certainly leave. If I make donations to ARP, or don't want to make a donation to ARP it's my business. I would certainly not give my address to anybody I didn't know, even someone who I'd been speaking to for a while on a BB unless it was to catch up for some reason. The problem as well is that whilst this is a teriffic community, and I want to be very careful how I tread here and don't want this to be taken the wrong way by ANYBODY, there's not a huge amount of useful herping information that get's passed around, save from 1 or 2 of the V experienced members. There are a couple of free email lists around that do have access to all that experience (if you don't mind the odd OT stuff and fighting between Ray Hoser and John Wiegel). Pity some of those members wouldn't move here! I think the 5 dollar fee would disgourage new members. It doesn't really matter that it's only 5 dollars it's a psychological thing I think.

My point is (getting there finally) that as a community it's sensational, but I think the membership fee would take away from that a bit. I hope that makes sense and I haven't p'd anyone off!

I know exactly what you mean jmbrimer about Ray and John and a few of those others on THAT list and I think you're wrong about the usefull herping information on this site. I have probably learned more belonging to this site in regards to herping than I have on any other site and I have been subscribing to most for quite a long time. The chat function on this site is a valuable resource tool and something not offered on most other lists. There is a very light hearted atmosphere in this site as you are well aware but when the serious herping issues arise there is a wealth of knowledge here.

Respectfully, Greg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back