Mercury Vapor Lamps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tallahassee

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Mercury Vapor lamps. Apparently they provide both heat and UV to reptiles. The shops here recommend them for larger reptiles but I want to know if anyone uses them and how they compare to seperate heat and light lamps.

i use one for my mertens water monitor, it gives him a nice basking heat when he comes out of the water (not very often mind you)
I find it good, but then again its the only lizard i have so i dont really have much to compare it to
oh an by the way you cant use them on a thermostat, so this makes them NOT suitable for small enclosures or enclosures without alot of air circulation, mine is just on a 24 hour timer!!

well if the enclosure has a open top, they can be fairly small, you can adjust the heat by just moving the light higher or closer to the enclosure, mine is about 50cm above the top of one end, just make sure you get it all set up before the lizard moves in!!

I have a 100W ozbright in a 4x2.
The hot spot needs to be supplemented with a 75W downspot as it only gets to about 35C with the MV globe about 30cm from the surface.
Apart from that, it's great, just not a very directed beam.

oh yeah i forgot to mention they are not as hot as they make them sound!!! i found 100w just not hot enough and 150 was just a little too hot!!! 125w would be the go if they made them

You'll get 125watts withy a dimmer mate. And I use these lights with my dragons and I swear by them. I am amazed that Magpie needs supplemental heat in Cairns??? My Frillies are in a 4x2x6 (6 high) with reasonable ventilation. Their cage gets to 30 at the top during winter and sits at 40 during summer. I have supplemented with a 75 watt ceramic at the moment jsut to warm them a bit at night. I also have them with my lacies. I will provide pics when I get back if this thread is still going.

I was even toying with the idea of putting my hatchie EWD's in a huge black tub with one of these lights on a lamp stand (listening Daz?) so I don't have to keep taking them outside next year.

And the guy I bought my frillies off had 100 watt mercury vapours in 2x2x4's on a thermostat and they had been going for 2 years!!!! I also noticed that if you put a 100 watt in a normal flood light that is rated to 150 watts it keeps going out from overheating. I use the 250 watt porcelains and they stay on permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back