Mesh that will stop rodents - woodie tub being attacked!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renenet

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've started to have problems with something, I assume a rodent, getting into my woodie bins. I have a couple of plastic tubs full of woodies in my shed and it's all been fine - until now. I assume these mystery critters are after the pellets and vegies I give my woodies.

For ventilation, each lid has a hole covered with fly mesh that I melted into the plastic with a soldering iron. A few days ago I noticed that there was a hole in the mesh. I replaced the mesh today, but when I checked on it at around 9.30 pm, there was another hole!

I'm not quite sure exactly what kind of mesh I have, but it's metal or metal-coated stuff that I can easily cut with scissors. Is there another kind that will stop sharp little rodent teeth?

Thanks,
Ren

Crimsafe looks like it might be the go. Thanks. Does anyone know if you can melt it into the plastic like I did with the current stuff, or will I need to attach it some other way?

I third the crimsafe. see your local glazier for some offcuts from the bin maybe

i use the small bird avary mesh i think its 6mm squares, got it from bunnings

Mouse and snake mesh. The squares are 6mm x 6mm. I buy it from bunnings

Just stick whatever mesh you chose on with maxibond or liquid nails.

Rodents love woodies :) and will chew through anything they can to get at them. Snake & Mouse wire would be your best bet. They will have a chew at the plastic tub container too.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Snake and mouse mesh. Right, I'll look for that.

Just stick whatever mesh you chose on with maxibond or liquid nails.

Sounds so obvious when you put it like that - thanks, Wokka.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also look at trapping, now they know there is a food source it will be hard to deter them

I was afraid of that. I'm not much of a poison person, and I don't like the thought of anything that snaps on them.

Does anyone know a way to trap them humanely - and what do you do with them afterwards? I saw someone comment on this in another thread but I can't remember where.

Does anyone know a way to trap them humanely - and what do you do with them afterwards? I saw someone comment on this in another thread but I can't remember where.
Farm supply shops usually sell live traps. Depending how squeamish you are you could do like rodent breeders do and break their necks or gas them with CO2. I prefer the neck breaking personally but wear gloves if you do. They bite and who knows what diseases they have. I've caught almost 20 in my rodent shed in the last few days. Must be the season for them

Thanks, Sax. CO2 sounds like my best option. I've heard that if you can break the neck at the right point it is more humane, but I don't know how and I'd be worried about botching it up.

What do you do with the bodies afterwards? Shame you can't feed them to the snakes, but as you say, who knows what diseases and parasites they'd be carrying.

I am confused. Why would you want to catch rodents alive so you can break their necks manually, instead of using a 'break-neck' trap in the first place?

With manually breaking necks, it is hard enough to be consistent in the technique required for a clean kill, when using raised rodents that do not struggle when you pick them up. They also will hang when held by the base of the tail, whereas wild rodents will 'ball up' and grab hold of whatever, in attempt to climb and escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back