Show you Hatchy tubs/click clacks.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysnakesau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Show your Hatchy tubs/click clacks.

I am sure there are many buying their first baby or breeding their first babies. Show your click clacks so ppl can see how simple it is to keep your reptile happy.

This is what I use for my baby pythons -

Plastic Tubs bought from Crazy Clarks. The small one is for new hatchlings, then from 12 months old or so I upgrade them to a "toddler Tub". Using a soldering iron I melt a row of airholes all the way along both sides, and 3 rows at the cool end, none at the warm end. Just remember to consider the size your baby to decide how big a holes you put in the tub. YOu don't want your baby escaping through the holes.
IMG_29162.jpg

From the top you can see my cage furniture is very simple. Plain white paper towel used on the bottom. You'll notice I have the paper towel folded over at one end. This I put at the warm end, so baby can slip in under the paper there and hide in the warm, or his hide box is just off the heat with his water bowl at the cool end. And he still has room to come out into the open if he wants to. You can add twigs for them to perch on if you wish. In my toddler tub I bought a rope perch intended for birds - melted holes in the tub for them to fit into, and the screw on thingy on the outside keeps it secure. But on the wooden perch, if you're as bad as I am at making holes too big :D , its nothing that a few rubber bands can't fix. Lots of rubber bands and if you try to pull the perch against the rubber bands it will even lock it nice and tight. Or even blue tac won't hurt to plug up gaps from the outside. I just noticed my gift box hide was $1 dearer than the tub. I paid $2 for the tub...haha
IMG_2917.jpg

And my preferred method of heating is the heatcord. A heat mat under one end of the tub will work fine, but since I usually have more than one at a time I have a slab of timber with 2 grooves routed out of one end - each groove about 5cm apart - I feed my 25W heatcord into the grooves and cover with aluminium tape. I don't use a thermostat. I've been using this for 3 years and never had any problem with it. Then my tubs sit on the timber with the heat at one end.
095-2.jpg

My way isn't the only way, but works for me and my carpet pythons. Hope to see some more contributions here that others use, and for lizzies and turtles, too, and the smaller, professional escape artists.

Last edited:
Here's mine for a 9 mth old jungle I'm getting next week, its a 30L starmaid, heated with 14W heatmat and connected to a probe thermostat
Jungle click clack.jpgjungle click clack2.jpg

I am sure there are many buying their first baby or breeding their first babies. Show your click clacks so ppl can see how simple it is to keep your reptile happy.

This is what I use for my baby pythons -

Plastic Tubs bought from Crazy Clarks. The small one is for new hatchlings, then from 12 months old or so I upgrade them to a "toddler Tub". Using a soldering iron I melt a row of airholes all the way along both sides, and 3 rows at the cool end, none at the warm end. Just remember to consider the size your baby to decide how big a holes you put in the tub. YOu don't want your baby escaping through the holes.
IMG_29162.jpg

From the top you can see my cage furniture is very simple. Plain white paper towel used on the bottom. You'll notice I have the paper towel folded over at one end. This I put at the warm end, so baby can slip in under the paper there and hide in the warm, or his hide box is just off the heat with his water bowl at the cool end. And he still has room to come out into the open if he wants to. You can add twigs for them to perch on if you wish. In my toddler tub I bought a rope perch intended for birds - melted holes in the tub for them to fit into, and the screw on thingy on the outside keeps it secure. But on the wooden perch, if you're as bad as I am at making holes too big :D , its nothing that a few rubber bands can't fix. Lots of rubber bands and if you try to pull the perch against the rubber bands it will even lock it nice and tight. Or even blue tac won't hurt to plug up gaps from the outside. I just noticed my gift box hide was $1 dearer than the tub. I paid $2 for the tub...haha
IMG_2917.jpg

And my preferred method of heating is the heatcord. A heat mat under one end of the tub will work fine, but since I usually have more than one at a time I have a slab of timber with 2 grooves routed out of one end - each groove about 5cm apart - I feed my 25W heatcord into the grooves and cover with aluminium tape. I don't use a thermostat. I've been using this for 3 years and never had any problem with it. Then my tubs sit on the timber with the heat at one end.
095-2.jpg

My way isn't the only way, but works for me and my carpet pythons. Hope to see some more contributions here that others use, and for lizzies and turtles, too, and the smaller, professional escape artists.

What temps does the heat cord produce for you....?

If you point the lazer of a infrared thermometer directly onto the silver strip, it has never gone over 34c, and is more often slightly cooler inside the tub but never fallen below 29c. During winter I find it struggles to keep the warmth up, but covering the tubs, or placing hide boxes over the warm end deletes any issues with feeding and being too cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back