Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done the same as solthhead said but I also used a product called prevent a mite... It lastes about 6 weeks and is like a surface spray. I did all the outsides of the enclosures and the carpet in the room to stop any jumping to another snake it worked great

From a breeder, so to speak. If it was from a pet store the vet was willing to take more action then I was. The site that I got my newest additions from has almost but not quite shut down,(By the looks of things). I cant help but think that the seller knew the problems but forgot to mention (except feeding difficulties). I have noticed that there are a few possible members on this site that are members of the other, should I contact them for their responses or does the general cencus say it will be biased?

Were they purchased from Far North Queensland?I have heard of a few people having problems with olives bought from a breeder up there.Non feeders and mites.

bloke that's not good news at all. Have you contacted the seller??? What do they have to say about themselves?? There is no way in hell a decent person would sell an animal in such poor condition. They should be shot. Fingers crossed you get a positive result and hopefully the person you bought it from will do the righty ny you. not a good situation at all mate......

I also took in a stool sample,I wasn't 100% sure (but assume its the sml 1) which one it came from but it turns out that the poor little critter is going through organ failure at the moment and its the worst possible news for him and the vet has said that its only a matter of time.

Are you saying the vet found out it had organ failure from a faecal examination?

Here's my advice. Offer both snakes fresh water and if they accept then let them drink their fill. If they dont, fine.

Remove the water bowls and treat the snakes for mites. One can of TOD will do over a dozen enclosures 2-3 times. You only need to spray a small amount in each enclosure. Do this again after a week and then several days later offer them water again.

After this i would wait to see if either snake goes into a shed, if not i would start introducing food to them. If either animal is dehydrated, they will drink. If they're not drinking, they're not thirsty. I would not be force feeding them anything, and doing so may only stress them out further making your attempts to get them voluntarily feeding all the more difficult. It would have to be quite a big mite infestation to stop them feeding. Most snakes with mites will continue feeding, as long as they were established feeders to begin with.

before i say anything, i want you to know that the site you are talking about is mine, it is down at the moment and due to not being able to contact our webmaster it is unsure when it will be back, as you said, it is still working but not fully,
i know some friends that also bought some of these olives, most are doing great, but i know one did die, this was owned by a mate and after it not eating we decided to assist feed it, i fed it pink rats and 2 days later it died, we came to the conclusion that it had some type of birth defect that when fed it couldn't handle the food, now this was just our opinion, the reason being was it was fine, but after the feed it started reguritating blood,

all the others are doing great, one i only just had the pleasure to hold last weekend, it is growing and doing well, i'm not saying that this has anything to do with yours, but you did ask about any others that had bought from him, and as the other couple that i know that have his olives aren't members on here that i'd tell you how theirs are going

i also bought 26 different snakes from him in the last couple months and also know a couple friends that have bought another 15 from him, at this point all are doing great, but are in strict quaenteen, (sp), in saying that, these were mostly coastals and bredlis and were good feeders, as normal pratice i always tod all new snakes anyway, so at this moment i can't say if mine had mites, but at this stage none have been found, i've had mine for a couple weeks now, so time will tell,

finally i just want to state that i'm only adding how things have gone with mine and a couple friends snakes and i in no way think you aren't telling it as it is,

it's possible some of the olives had birth defects and if so, nobody could be held responsible, and i'm sure anybody with big collections have had a few mite outbreaks from time to time, i know i've had a few in the last 5 years,

finally i also want it known that i have known the seller for a couple years and he was the old owner of my site, i only took over a few months ago due to the seller wanting to scale back his involvement online, i also have only met him once a couple weeks ago when i picked up my snakes i bought, i just wanted to make this clear before anybody started saying anything about us being friends or me being biest............

i hope your 2 olives recover for you, and please feel free to pm me if i can help you out in any way, i'll also keep you updated on how mine go,

If the vet is so sure the snake is going through organ failure and is not going to make it wouldn't the kindest thing be to euthanase it before it suffers any more?

The person you bought your olive from is well known for screwing people over and mites.It will catch up with him one day.There is a long list of angry people from over the years.

Bumping for the sick little one. How's it holding up?

To kill mites i use one of 4 things, Sunflower oil, eucalyptus oil, frontline or stronghold.
The last 2 you have to be very careful with !

Thank s for the help and concern, I ended up going with TOD, hopefully I won't be seeing anymore mites anytime soon.
The little olive is making slow progress, but becoming more active and can actually hold its head up for quite a while now, it still cant support its body weight when when being handled. Its stool colour has improved greatly, only very slight bit of green in it today, still injecting hartmans into it a coulpe times a day and mushed up cat food mixed with water every second day.
I'm going to see if the larger one will take a hopper mouse tomorrow.

Ozexcalibur, I asked the vet what she thought about putting down, even though she didn't give it much of a chance, she thought it might still have one with someone actually caring for it, I dont want to prolong its pain, hopefully i'll get it all better soon, if it doesn't improve anymore over the next week, then I think that might have to be the final solution.

If any olive owners out there could please help me with details as to how big their olives were around the 6 month mark and what size food they were feeding them,, it would help me out tremendously with my current problem I'm having. I already owned an olive previous to the new pair I purchased just recently, only she was roughly 6-8 bigger than what my new ones are at the same age. Olive owners please help!!!!

I think ours is around the 6 month mark - but that is a guess. New to this whole snake owning thing. But the pet shop guy said they have a fairly set breeding period - born in march - so if thats true 6months is about right.
But he is about 150gram (according to the kitchen scales, which may or may not be accurate) and about 90cm long.

http://www.ecr.unimelb.edu.au/~hobbes/image/snake/snakebearhand.jpg

We are feeding him two little mice a week. I'm curious about the size of your previous olives and new olives - I have no idea what is normal

Good luck with yours and I hope they get better.

I am so glad ,these poor snakes, have someone as caring and kind as you looking after them,
and Im sure you will have given them, their best chance at recovery. I will be thinking of you. I know how worrying it is to have a sick animal. And I wish you all the best. Maybe the breeder, can foot the vets bills, how long ago did you buy them? If it was very recent surely they hold some responsiblity, morally.. If you do lose your snakes, then at least he could do is refund your money. If not I think you should be able to name who you bought them off, If he/she doesnt take the opportunity to make it right.

top of descent is the best way to go mate make sure u take the water bowl out for at least 24 hours and just use a light spray i am a vet and have seen many cases of snakes coming in with breathing problems etc caused by top of descent u can also buy mite spray from ure local pet store this also works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back