moisturing your snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

happynagini

Reaction score
As some of you may have seen, I got my QLD BHP last tuesday.
He was in the middle of a terrible shed, and today I am still picking bits of slough off him. I have been bathing every day, misting his tub, temps are fine. Yet he still has stuck skin on him.
Today while I was pulling the skin off his cloaca I realised there was a bit of blood under the cloaca. I believe this is a result of the guy I bought him off probing him and not knowing what he was doing, but if you think it could be a result of the slough, please let me know.

Anyway, I rang the closest reptile vet (100kms from Bathurst at Katoomba Vet Clinic) who was called Rhys Sweaney (anyone know him) who advised me to continue bathing and moisturise the snake. I havent done this as I am not sure if it is okay to do so? The vet didnt seem too phased about the blood.

I have pulled more skin off the snake again tonight. I made an appointment for 2pm tomorrow but am still unsure whether I should bother going or not.

SO my question is, blood under cloaca normal? A slight bit squeeze out when I was sussing it out. And also, have you moisturised your snake? Was it beneficial? What one did you use?

Cheers

Take it to the vet, blood isn't normal, an open wound in that part of the body will get infected in no time. As for moisturizing my snakes I mist with a spray bottle with plain old tap water when I notice they are coming into shed

Won't comment on whether the blood is something to worry about. Definitely not normal but worth seeing the vet just in case any damage was done by the previous owner.

I have moisturised in the past, used to buy a reptipet brand that was a blueish liquid but i think it was just some generic oil. If needed these days i use that 'E' brand of Vitamin E oil, just a tiny bit on my fingers and rub it in to the problem spots. For general continued use, which i don't recommend as it shouldn't be needed if husbandry is correct, use a very gentle, pH neutral, scent-free Vitamin E cream 50:50 with water in a spray bottle. Spray a small amount on your hands then rub into your snakes' skin gently, avoid the face/mouth/eyes/nose, etc.

Good luck.

Soaking in a warm, damp pillow case then using the case to slough off any retained shed is a good technique for problem sheds too.

Hey, I have never heard of people using moisturizers on their snakes in shed, thanks for putting it out there though. I think I would feel a little silly doing it personally, next thing Estée Lauder will have a python pamper pack. Fantastic!

Would just like to clarify that its not an open wound, its just blood from the cloaca itself. Hes passed a poop since ive had him so i think he is fine really.

I dunnooooooo argh. wish snakes could talk haha.

Blood is definitely not a good sign, but by the sounds of it not to do with the shed. Provide he snake with a large enough bowl to submerge itself fully. Forget about misting at this stage. Moisture is not something you want around a wound. Keep the rest of your enclosure dry, and the warm end nice a warm, say 35c (at floor temp) and the rest of you enclosure ambient temp. ( until a Vet is seen)

would you go to the doctor if blood was coming out of your anus ? i think a vets probably a good idea as for misting i do it every now and then but haven't bothered the last few sheds and they've been fine

Use paw paw ointment on you snake it works great, the best.

Moisturizing the snakes? No... I have sprayed them with water when they're coming up to a shed or put the water bowl in the hot end to keep up the humidity. They're really don't need our help with "moisturizing".

Also how much blood was there? I know sometimes when my snakes have a terrible shed the shed will kind of stick to the edge of the vent and there's sometimes a little blood (ie a miniscule amount) when the shed is pulled free. It doesn't affect them in any way.

Moisturizing the snakes? No... I have sprayed them with water when they're coming up to a shed or put the water bowl in the hot end to keep up the humidity. They're really don't need our help with "moisturizing".

Also how much blood was there? I know sometimes when my snakes have a terrible shed the shed will kind of stick to the edge of the vent and there's sometimes a little blood (ie a miniscule amount) when the shed is pulled free. It doesn't affect them in any way.

hey mate. i didnt end up moisturising because i thought it was just weird, i just wanted to ask people if they had done it before considering a reptile vet had told me to do it. found it very odd!

they blood was a tiny amount and it was when i was pulling the scales away from his cloaca, so it sounds similar to whats happened to you. i didnt take him to the vet today because i got called into work, but i think he is fine

its just frustrating when your temps are correct, and misting and water on the heat side doesnt work. i hope this isnt going to be a continuing thing for my bhp, my morelia always shed so well :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back